Tuesday, May 15, 2007

K is cutting her first tooth!

I was wondering if it was ever going to happen. Probably anyone reading this assumed it had already happened and I hadn't bothered to mention it.

I check (with my finger) K's gums a couple times a week. Today, for the first time, I felt a bump. I had to hold her arms down and pry open her mouth to take a peek, and it was very, very hard to see, but I did see a tiny bit of tooth in her lower gum!

K turned 13 months old last Thursday.

N got his first tooth two days before he turned one. J got hers two weeks before she turned one.

When we saw the doctor for K's one-year-old appointment, he wasn't worried, particularly since N and J were so late getting their first teeth. He said sometimes a thyroid problem causes a delay in getting teeth, but then the baby doesn't appear healthy (K is healthy). He told me he would consider it a problem only if K came in for her 15-month appointment with no teeth. I have been figuring a tooth would appear any day, but when she reached 13 months with no tooth, I started to get worried--all for nothing.

4 Comments:

At 6:36 PM, Blogger Andrea said...

What age do they usually cut teeth at?

 
At 3:50 PM, Blogger Angela said...

Andrea, I don't know for sure. All my kids were quite old to cut teeth. It seemed to me that everyone else's kids were getting their first tooth by six months old. I don't know what the official age is supposed to be. Once in a while a baby is born with a tooth or teeth.

 
At 10:44 PM, Blogger brillywazz said...

Congratulations K! I hope your brother and sister don't stick their fingers in your mouth or you'll give them a little nip! :-)

My friends son was born with one tooth. It was the freakiest thing I'd ever seen..... this little scrawny newborn with a tooth :-) He was studied by his local hospital for 12 months because apparently it's quite rare and most of the local dentists had only heard about it, never seen it. They wanted to see if it would change the way his teeth developed.

 
At 4:29 PM, Blogger Angela said...

I didn't realize babies born with teeth were so rare. I just knew it was possible.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home