Saturday, October 20, 2007

This and That

I had to get up early this morning to get the kids ready and take Mr. K to the airport. He's gone to Orlando, Florida for the weekend. I'll pick him up tomorrow evening. The kids will be up a little late, but there's nothing we can do about it. Our spare truck hasn't been starting every time so Mr. K didn't want to take it to the airport and have it fail him.

I sent my mom prints of the pictures of the food I made during yucky food week. She liked them very much. She said they made her feel hungry. My brother and his boys (ages 4 and 6) were visiting her, and they found the pictures interesting. When my mother mentioned "fish sticks," my brother said we can't call them that; they are "special sticks." If his boys knew they were fish, they'd never touch them again. Also of interest, my brother eats Manwich sloppy joes and likes them.

My SpySweeper is set to run once a week. I think it must be for Saturdays at 9 a.m. I don't usually have the computer on at that time, so it seldom runs. When it does run or I run it manually, it always finds just cookies. I had the computer on at that time today, though. It found a trojan named "ldpinch." I think that's pretty bad. I think it can steal my passwords and shut down my antivirus software. It logs keys and sends the data to other computers. I don't know how long it's been since my last spyware sweep, but as I mentioned, I don't do it as often as I should. I think it's been in the past month, though. I guess from now on it will be more often. I don't know how I could have got it, but then people seldom do. Hopefully I haven't had any important data stolen, but you never know. It's very frustrating.

3 Comments:

At 5:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope the trojan hasn't caused any damage...we run ours everyday i think although i know nothing about it and leave it up to A to do all that :)

 
At 1:18 AM, Blogger brillywazz said...

I was reading in the Symantec site about your trojan. One thing they did suggest was to turn off your system restore while you run your anti-spyware because that particular trojan can hide in your system restore where anti spyware can't reach it. There's a lot of info in the Symantec site about how to get rid of it.

My anti virus runs all the time but I use Spybot and Ad-Aware for spyware weekly. Both are free and they both look for different things.

Good luck... I hope you get rid of it.

 
At 9:33 AM, Blogger Angela said...

Sarah,
Mr. K leaves it up to me to keep the computers going, anti-virused, and anti-spywared. I don't know much about computers, but I know more than Mr. K. When I married him ten years ago, he was all happy that he was in a line of work where he would never have to turn on a computer. Now his company forces him to use certain software, have e-mail they answer within 24 hours of arrival, and keep purchasing new computers that are able to run the updates of their "special" software.

On the other hand, he loves his Internet connection now.

Brilly,
Right now I'm downloading an update to my spyware and I'll try running it again. I have Norton Antivirus and the whole Internet Security pack. My anti-virus does run once a week, and it never noticed this problem.

If I can figure out how to shut down my system restore, I'll re-run Spysweeper with the system restore off once it is updated. Thanks for the information. I have Ad-Aware, but long ago I quit being able to figure out how to update it without purchasing it. I know it's supposed to be free. I don't run it at all any more.

If I can't figure out how to shut off system restore, I'll call my dad. If he's in, he'll tell me. He's great with computers in general (but not Web page design).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home