Cheap dinner
I got a $5 chicken. I roasted it yesterday and we had roast chicken for dinner. Tonight I picked the bones clean, cooked noodles, and used a can of broth and yesterday's drippings to make a gravy to use to make chicken noodle casserole. Now the carcass is in my crock pot with a little salt, pepper, a bay leaf, onion, a clove of garlic, carrots, and celery to make broth tomorrow morning that I'll probably cool and freeze.

3 Comments:
Gotta love a cheap chook!
That's awesome! I was just reading an interesting article on CNN about how if you want your kids to eat healthy, then learn to cook, since so many people don't know how to cook these days. And one of the things they said was that a roast chicken could give you as many as 5 more meals out of it. Very thrifty and tasty! Here's the link to the article: http://www.cnn.com/2010/OPINION/03/26/swensson.kids.cooking/index.html?hpt=C2
Thanks, I'll look at the link. I think five meals is an awful lot to make a chicken last; I'd have to buy a roaster instead of the cheaper broiler/fryers that I buy.
Post a Comment
<< Home