School Year Over
N and J are home from school for the summer. They brought home their report cards, and both will move up a grade in the fall (as expected).
We got submarine sandwiches at Jersey Mike's for lunch and popsicles for dessert.
Next week they all begin swimming lessons. They are at 8:10 a.m., so we will have to get to the YMCA very early. K finally gets her lessons. She couldn't have any last summer because she wasn't potty trained.
We're going to the Chesapeake Bay for the day this weekend. It should be pretty. We were supposed to go camping for two nights, but we aren't going to for a number of reasons. I am relieved. One of the reasons is that I haven't recovered from the last camping trip. It was too miserable.
Our raspberry crop is past its peak, but we are still getting a lot. I've made a couple pies and have frozen some.
The kids will probably drive me nuts this summer, and when I finally adjust, it will be time for school to start back up.

6 Comments:
Do the kids have to pass each grade or are they just automatically moved up at the start of each school year? How long are they off for?
How far is Chesapeake Bay from you? I'm looking forward to seeing some pictures.
Officially the kids have to pass each grade. Every once in a while someone fails to, but I get the impression that a lot of kids get moved forward before they are really ready.
The kids are off for eleven weeks.
We drove about 120 miles to get to this place. It took around two hours (plus time for bathroom breaks). I don't know if we could get to a different part of the bay any faster or not.
I'll see about getting a picture or two up.
ELEVEN weeks!! Eleven!
And I complain about our long summer holidays which are 5-6 weeks :-)
I hope you stay sane :-)
Forgot to say. Our kids move up automatically, there's no such thing as 'fail' in Australian schools.
Every once in a while a child is held back. I think the parents may be involved in the decision, too. I think it should be done a lot more than it is just to keep from having to slow down some kids because others don't know the material or else to just teach stuff over the heads of some kids because they don't have the foundation necessary to understand where the material is going.
Give me the Honey-speak award for that last comment.
Post a Comment
<< Home