I ate tofu
Due to the heat, I had a couple recipes I wanted to try involving spring (or summer) rolls, rice paper, rice paper salad wrapper, Vietnamese salad wrappers, or whatever one wants to call them. The supermarket that changed owners used to sell them, but the new owner doesn't. I tried a couple of the new stores and a different chain. No luck. The Asian food store very near me went out of business half a year ago. I finally went to one near where I used to live (amazingly it was still there), and I found the rice paper.
I made a shrimp summer roll when Mr. K and N were at camp, and yesterday I made one called tofu apple spring rolls. I have some left, and I ate two for breakfast this morning. I baked the tofu the night before, when it wasn't quite so hot, and assembled the rolls the next day. Tofu has an icky texture, but mixed with all the stuff in the spring roll, I really can't tell. I wouldn't say it's the best food ever, but it is certainly okay. I'm using half the amount of tofu the recipe calls for because I found using the whole piece a bit large to wrap up.
http://www.chow.com/recipes/13484-vegan-tofu-apple-spring-rolls
Here is the recipe if anyone is interested. As I said, it was okay. I didn't completely follow the recipe. I used finely shredded regular cabbage since the grocery store I went to had a poor selection of Asian produce. I could only find a limp bok choi there. I used orange juice from a carton. I used Jif peanut butter. I'm sure natural would have been better, but that's not what I have.
I'm still a little skittish about tofu. Spring rolls are very nice, though, in this heat. Thankfully we are in the lower 90s today. I'm sure I will be playing around more with the rice paper and different stuffings.

4 Comments:
I'm not a tofu fan, I dislike the texture.
I've never worked with the rice wrappers although I like eating them. Are they easy to handle?
They are easier to handle than I expected. I just put them in warm water for about fifteen seconds (I use a cake pan since the size is about right). Then I put them on my work surface (a plastic cutting board). At this point they are still pretty stiff. All my fillings are sitting out and ready, so I load them on, one-by-one. By the time I'm done, the rice paper is very pliable and I can carefully burrito-wrap the filling. It sticks to itself pretty well, and I move it to a plate that has plastic wrap on it already so I can just tuck it under the wrap so it doesn't dry out while I make the next ones.
The one's I don't eat right away, I wrap, either individually or in pairs in plastic wrap and put in the fridge for later. I eat them with a dipping sauce that I make.
I am the clumsiest person, so if I can do it, it must be pretty easy to handle.
I'll give it a go when it's warm enough to enjoy them :-)
Mmm... I love rice paper rolls. I like tofu too. I'll have to give that recipe a go when it's a bit warmer here.
Post a Comment
<< Home