Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Lots of running around

K and I just got done dropping J off at preschool and then going to the lawyer's office to meet up with Mr. K so we could sign our wills, living wills, and durable powers of attorney. That's done. Now we need to get a fireproof box large enough to hold legal-sized papers. Our state will only honor the original of a will so locking it up in a safe deposit box won't work because if Mr. K and I die together, our executor will need the original of the will to get the safe deposit box opened in a timely fashion. If the original of the will is in there, they won't be opening the safe deposit box any time soon. It's sort of like locking your keys in your car.

In order to try to get us to back an increase in the minimum wage, our church (Catholic) printed up something showing the median price of housing in the country, state, and area, and the wages needed to afford it. I don't back increasing minimum wage. Very few people make that little, and those that do only do for a short while. Mostly they are high-school kids starting their first job. Right now, Virginia has very low unemployment, and you just can't hire someone competent for minimum wage. The most interesting thing I saw in that sheet from the church is that our house is worth quite a lot less than the median value of a home in the area. I guess we're poor. I don't feel poor, but I sure don't feel rich.

Yesterday N's school was delayed two hours because of the ice we got during the night before. J's school was closed since hers closes if the local school is delayed or closed. K had a 9-month check-up that morning, and I had to take both kids with me. N was a little late to school since the time of K's appointment interfered with the revised start-time of his school.

K has an ear infection. I had no idea. I had noticed she's been crying in her sleep a bit in the night lately. I've gone in and found her wimpering while asleep. I just thought it was bad dreams. It was probably a sore ear. Now she's taking liquid amoxicillin and will have to go back to the doctor's in a couple weeks. If her ears are okay, she'll get the shots she was supposed to get at this appointment.

1 Comments:

At 10:01 AM, Blogger Angela said...

I'm sorry to hear you've had an ear infection, too. I hope yours is getting better. I don't think Kate's is yet.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home