Tuesday, April 15, 2008

My incompetence--#$$%#@ Computer

I actually got K down for a nap around 2:30 p.m., and I took the computer out of the box and got it set up (but not connected to the Internet). I went to install WebRoots Spysweeper, and I got an error message about it not running on the computer because it wasn't a 64-bit application. What?

I called my dad, and we concluded that I had picked the wrong computer for my needs. It had Windows Vista 64-bit version installed, which would make it worthless with everything I have. None of my old software would run, and I'd be miserable.

While I was sold the computer package in the ad, and in small print there was a footnote telling me it was the 64-bit version, I had no idea what that actually meant. The sales guy didn't give me any warnings. I had mentioned I'd be playing my Nancy Drew games on it, and the Spysweeper and Microsoft Home office he picked out for me, neither of which would run on it because they require a 32-bit system. He apparently didn't know, either, or he'd have given me some warning and the proper software.

I called Best Buy, and to return it, there is a 15 % restocking fee. I might be able to get it waved if I exchange it for another computer. I got as much as I could re-packed properly, and I'll be taking the computer back tonight and hoping I can avoid the restocking fee. If I am forced to pay it (over $100), I certainly won't be buying its replacement at Best Buy. My dad thinks they should be really good about it, especially if I keep asking to talk to higher up managers.

The kids are out on the deck, enjoying the bubble machine K got for her birthday. I think I'll go join them for a bit while rush-hour traffic dies down.

2 Comments:

At 3:13 PM, Blogger brillywazz said...

I hope they didn't charge you a restocking fee. IMO it was the salesmans fault and he didn't sell you a product that would do the job that you needed it for.

 
At 5:25 PM, Blogger Angela said...

I didn't have to pay the restocking fee. They were very nice about it. The salesman (I'm old enough to be his mom)was there last night, and he helped me work out which one I should get, and it was slightly cheaper, so I got a tiny refund.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home