Thursday, September 18, 2008

J is ill now

J cried a bit yesterday after 11 p.m., but I didn't think to take her temperature. When she got up this morning, she was hot to the touch. I checked her, and she was at 101.7 °F. Around 9:30, after N got on the bus and it was apparent J was quite ill, I called the doctor's office, and got her in at 11:40. We were lucky and got the same doctor N saw on Monday.

I had to carry J in because she said she hurt too much to walk. J tested positive for strep throat, even though N didn't. We discussed antibiotic options because of J hiding unswallowed chewable antibiotics last school year when she had an ear infection, and all the trouble she gives me taking the liquid stuff. The doctor said he could cure her with one injection of a two-part penicillin (short and long acting). I said, let's do that, then. We only have to fight with here once, and we know the proper dose is in place.

Two nurses got together to get the injection in her butt. J screamed and cried and said it was very painful. The doctor warned me that such a hit of penicillin will rapidly kill off the strep, and that will probably make her much sicker tomorrow. By Saturday, she should start to feel better. We'll see if/how this works. If all ends up well, this will be my preference for antibiotics for J until she is old enough to swallow pills whole. She's been refusing Tylenol and Ibuprofen. The doctor says that's okay. They're to lower her fever so she'll be more comfortable, but if she's more comfortable skipping that, then that's her problem.

I'm supposed to change everyone's toothbrushes (J's in two days).

N made it to school today. He went yesterday morning, but I had to pick him up before noon because he said his throat and hear hurt so much. School is almost over so I guess he's back to functioning. Thank goodness I don't have two sick at home at the same time. Now we just have to keep K from getting ill...and Mr. K.....and me.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home