Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Septic Woes

I got my septic tank pumped today. I guess I had incredible luck it was today. When the guy dug up the tank cover, he asked me if my tank had been working right. I said it was fine. He said that sewage had overflowed my tank, and that probably my septic pump had failed. He opened the pump cover and confirmed the pump was not running. This pump moved sewage from the tank to the drainage field.

The original cost was to have been $200. It was an extra $100 to have the pump housing pumped out, too, which needs to be done before it can be repaired. His company has someone who can fix my pump, and the guy is supposed to give me a call. He hadn't by the end of the day, so I'll call the pumping company in the morning and try to get something scheduled. Meanwhile, the guy who did the pumping figures I have about ten days before I overflow the tank and flood the pump housing if the pump isn't fixed or replaced.

I say I'm lucky because if I had my tank pumped before it overflowed the tank, the guy probably wouldn't have noticed the pump had failed. That would be about a one to two day window between when the pump failed and when I had failed plumbing. If I had waited a day or so more to get my tank pumped, I probably would have caught on because my drains wouldn't work. So, even though this is probably going to be an expensive mess, it failed under the best of circumstances. What are the odds I'd have it pumped at exactly the correct time to notice the pump failure without suffering the concequences?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home