Thursday, April 07, 2011

Which workout is better?

When I go to the gym, I spend 21 minutes riding the recumbent bike in random mode. That means it randomly gets easier and harder to pedal. When it gets harder, I know that my pedaling slows down. Unless the room is hot, I seldom break a sweat during those 21 minutes.

When I ride my real bike (a gearless, back-pedal braking cruiser), I can only make it about ten minutes. During that ten minute ride, I am going up and down hills. Going down hills I often don't pedal but ride the brake so I don't crash at the bottom when I need to turn. Going up hills or on flat surfaces, I pedal. My ride out ends on a certain hill with a rather gentle slope. Eventually my thighs start to burn like fire so I give up, turn around, and go back. On the big slopes (which is most of them), I get off my bike and walk it up the hills. I know; it's very pathetic but I wouldn't ride at all if I didn't do this, and surely this is better than nothing. I know it's time to walk the bike when it starts to teeter because I am going so slowly.

Anyway, by the time I get home, I am sweating, my throat hurts, I am gasping for air, and I pretty much feel like I have the flu. If it is at all cold, my ears ache. The thing is, I am gone and back in literally 10 minutes. I spend 21 minutes at the gym riding the bike without breaking a sweat. Which is better?

(Also at the gym I use the machines for 15 minutes that build muscle, but I am keeping that out of this comparison.)

2 Comments:

At 11:39 AM, Blogger Andrea said...

It's better to break a sweat. If you're not going 21 minutes but not sweating, it's doing very little for you. Even though you can only do the real bike for 10 minutes, your heart is working harder and you're burning some fat. You're also going to build up your endurance faster.

 
At 10:52 AM, Blogger Angela said...

I guess I should practice more with my own bike before it gets too hot.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home