Sunday, April 03, 2011

Fishing's not so good

The place we fish down the road from us is becoming a party hang-out for boys. K and I went there this morning, as a car dropped off three swim-suit wearing boys (about 15 years old) with poles, a cooler, and lawn chairs. They fished on one side and we fished on the other. Only one boy was actually fishing. The others turned their chairs away from us and the water and were talking and playing on their fancy phones (probably calling their friends). They were discretely passing around Marlboro reds. I thought about lecturing them on not starting smoking if they aren't yeat addicted, but I decided to mind my own business. We caught no fish so after a while, K and I left and went to fish by the road, where if you can catch anything, it will be tiny.

When we were fishing by the road, another boy of a similar age was dropped off. Then three more boys, who seemed slightly younger (but only slightly). They didn't even have poles. Kate and I had caught a few small fish by the road, so were were done and went home. I don't know if any more young men turned up, but we weren't there to see it. I've noticed a lot more trash down there since everyone started fishing there. Sometimes I make a trip down there just to pick up the trash since I don't like looking at it. Anyway, now I see that the area is just a big party spot for teenaged boys. Last year there was a lot more fishing going on, but the boys often came with their dads.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home