Saturday, October 08, 2011

Fictional quote about Communists

I was reading an old book by Elizabeth Peters (I read fiction to read myself to sleep, but I don't have much other time anymore to read what I want). The book is called Trojan Gold, and it was written in the 80s. The copyright year is 1987, during the Cold War. I grew up during the Cold War, so I understand the mindset. The book takes place in West Germany. The old West German guy says to his friend (an American) who had been invited to dinner with an East German guy, "Vicky, you are a fool; don't you know that when a Communist invites you to share a meal with him, he is planning to eat your food and his own?"

That just cracks me up, but I still see the truth in it. I would say it is probably the best line in the book. I don't particularly recommend it, but I happen to own it and was looking for reading material one night. I'd certainly call the book adequate.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home