Sunday, September 04, 2005

Car trouble

For the past three weeks, my car has had a funny burning oil or rubber smell after driving it. Friday my husband noticed an oil leak where I park. When the smell began, I checked the oil and it was fine, so I quit worrying about it.

I've put off taking it in since I had to get a state safety inspection in September. I could have done it a month early, but then I'd forget next year since I always get it done in my birthday month. I took the car in yesterday. I'm amazed to say I got it fixed and returned yesterday.

Let me start with I know nothing about cars except how to drive them. I'll probably screw up any explanation of what was wrong. To stop the leak, I needed a new oil pan gasket. I would have passed the safety inspection without it, but of course, I don't want my car leaking oil. I guess it's a lot of work to change the gasket because the labor was $250.

To pass the inspection, I needed something to do with wheel bearings replaced. Maybe that's not exactly what it was. The steering was coming loose from the wheels and the word bearings was in there somewhere.

I had a Chevy Cavalier for over 60,000 miles and seven years and that never happened. My Ford Taurus only has just under 35,000 miles. I admit the car is five years old, but I don't drive that much. My bearings were over $70 apiece, and the labor was once again $250.

I got my car back last night for $768. I guess that's my birthday present this year.

As I said, I amazingly got my car back the same day, and we were able to go to church in the morning. I hadn't expected to see my car until this evening.

1 Comments:

At 9:08 AM, Blogger Angela said...

I'm testing my new setting to avoid spam comments.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home