Tummy bug--icky descriptions
We've been taking turns being ill since Thanksgiving. K got a tummy bug that day. I think she puked all over herself about six times that day until it turned to diarrhea. She had a little fever. I was out refilling a prescription while Mr. K was watching the kids, and she exploded out both ends while I was gone. She still sort of has diarrhea, but her behavior is normal. Her diaper rash got a lot worse by Friday. It had blistered, and the blisters had popped. I called the doctor's office to find out if I should use antibiotic ointment on it (I shouldn't), and I spoke to the nurse for a while. Because of my description of K's diarrhea smelling "fishy," the nurse said it sounded like rotavirus.
Friday evening, I got a bad stomach ache. By bedtime I was throwing up. I was throwing up about every 45 minutes all night. I mean that literally. I had a fever. Around 3 a.m., I added diarrhea to the mix. What a joy to sit on the toilet with a barf bucket in my hands and sweat dripping into it off my forehead. Around 7 a.m., I quit barfing. I had no idea I produced so much bile. I've never vomited so much bile after emptying my stomach. I had diarrhea well into the day, but at least it didn't include stomach cramps as the vomiting did. I pretty much rested in bed until 1:30 p.m. before I got up to get a shower. Mr. K had got some Pedialyte for K, so I had some of it, too, and it cleared up the headache I got from dehydration. Fortunately, I slept very well and very deeply last night, so I'm okay now.
Last night I let N sleep on a cot in our livingroom since it's so much closer to the bathroom than his bedroom upstairs. He had stomach cramps and threw up once. That seemed to be the end of it for him.
Mr. K got a fever last night. He put on layers and layers of clothing and still couldn't warm up. I think he slept in until about 10:30 this morning I'm not sure if he had any diarrhea, but I know he didn't throw up. He doesn't feel well enough to go to Kroger's today.
J has been complaining about being cold when I don't think she should be cold so I'll just have to wait and see if she's going to take her turn being ill. Unless someone takes a turn for the worse, I'd say I was the sickest, then K, then N, and finally Mr. K. If he got off with just a fever, he's doing well.
I've been talking to some moms, and I hear strep throat is going around right now. Oh boy.

2 Comments:
Freaky... we have rotovirus doing the rounds here too. And there is a cough going around that sounds like a barking dog. Both D and I have it. We both cough as the sun is setting and in the early hours of the morning.
I love the description of it exploding out from both ends... that's exactly what happens.
I hope you are all recovered. At least as an adult we know what is going on. It's hard for the younger kids.
I'm glad somebody enjoys my disgusting descriptions. Somehow, I just feel better when I write about how revolting stuff was. I do try to warn people if I think my post might turn someone's stomach.
Post a Comment
<< Home