Friday, January 26, 2007

How annoying

I was forced to create a Google account to get to my blog. I tried to use it yesterday, but I didn't have time to mess around with it. I really don't right now, either. The time I had planned to type was mostly spent creating the new account and trying to figure out how to get to the place where I can type.

We're having pretty cold weather. I think it was 19 °F while I was out with N, waiting for his schoolbus to pick him up. Instead of my usualy stretch pants I wear to the gym, I'm wearing some gaudy purple sweat pants, which are much warmer.

Mr. K made a fire in our wood-burning stove last night, and I went out yesterday and got a down comforter and a duvet cover. I think the cover might be a bit large, but I figured it was one of those things I could probably modify with my sewing machine if I found it impotant enough. The cover still needs to be washed and ironed, but I used the whole mess last night like an extra blanket and was quite warm. Also, I've pretty much always used bedspreads so I really don't know what I'm supposed to do with a comforter to make my bed.

3 Comments:

At 7:10 PM, Blogger brillywazz said...

Mine hasn't been affected yet. I'm finding that more and more things that I want to join require either a yahoo or google member ID. My ISP has joined forces with MSN and changed my homepage to an Optus/MSN combined page. I hate it!

 
At 7:13 PM, Blogger brillywazz said...

I forgot to say that if a comforter is what we call a doona then you just make your bed as normal eg: bottom sheet, top sheet, blanket then the doona over the top and not tucked in!

 
At 8:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think a comforter might be a doona. It might be a bedspread. I looked at Google images for a Doona, but really couldn't figure out what I was seeing.

Your description would fit both a bedspread and a comforter. Pretty much, a bedspread reaches the floor. When you make the bed, you do it as you described, but at the top of the bed, you fold down the bedspread almost as far as the width of your pillows. Then you put the pillows on, and then you fold the bedspread up over the pillows so it covers them completely, but I guess you could say that fold you made is tucked under the pillows. One can add pillows in pillow shams over the top.

A comforter is much smaller than a bedspread but thicker. They don't go down to the floor. I think you put a bedskirt over your box springs to cover the area between the bottom of the bed and the floor. This is how I think you make the bed with a comforter. When you make your bed, you do as you described, you put your pillows in place, and you pull the comforter over the top of them. It looks dumb and bulky at the pillow area (no tucking neatly under the pillow) so you pretty much have to add pillows pillow shams over the top of your pillows to look good.

An inexpensive comforter is made with polyester filling and comes in colors and patterns to decorate your room. Fancier ones are white, and you put a cover (I think it's called a duvet cover) over the top. The nicer ones are filled with down instead of polyester (mine is). The much nicer ones are baffled (some way to avoid the downless areas you get under the stitching when the comforter is quilted to hold everything in place. Mine isn't baffled).

My mom tells me that in England when she visted, a lot of the places she slept had just bottom sheets with covered comforters (duvets). She had to ask special for a top sheet since she gets very hot at night and sleeps naked and wanted at least a sheet over her. I guess they wash the duvet covers between guests.

Angela (Greycharleigh)

(This stupid google thing is making it so I can't figure out how to post my comment and K is crying.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home