Thursday, February 15, 2007

Running around

I've had lots of errands to do while J has been in preschool this week, along with my regular trips to the gym on Monday and Wednesday. I've met twice with the kitchen person at Lowes to order the countertop and sink we will be using at the new rental house Mr. K and I bought last fall. It still doesn't have working plumbing.

Today I had to go to the bank because a CD I had matured, and it would roll over into a low-interest rate CD if I did nothing. My bank was kind enough to call me and warn me of this so I could switch it into a CD with a much better interest rate. Fortunately K slept through the whole thing.

I had to go to the supermarket to get something simple for dinner. I selected some cold fried chicken, a box of Easy Mac, and some fresh vegetables (carrots, cucumber) that can be eaten raw. Mr. K will probably be serving dinner tonight unless we eat early. I'm finally going to do something I've wanted to do for a very long time. Last February (when I was still pregnant), I gave in and saw my family doctor about my heel spurs, hoping she could fix my heels before the baby came so that I could go to one of those dinner-making places and put together some stuff before I had K. My feet only got worse during the subsequent six or seven months. I never was able to do that; I couldn't stand for the two hours necessary to make the meals. I could barely stand for five minutes, and that was with severe pain.

I'm not 100 % cured yet, but I am so much better I'm sure I can do this. The only thing I'm avoiding is walking for my health. My feet are going to hurt tomorrow and probably the next day, but not so bad I'm crippled. I use an exercise bike for my health now, and probably will until I believe I'm 100 % cured. I'm not taking any medicine for the pain in my feet. I wouldn't consider it a cure if I had to remain on anti-inflammatory medicine. I did use it about three different times for two to three weeks each time. What has helped the most is the orthotics I had the first foot doctor make, and then switching my foot exercise to exercises that don't aggravate the neuroma in my right foot. I am taking some B vitamins that might be reducing some of the numbness from the neuroma in my right foot, but I don't consider that to be "taking medicine."

Anyway, the friend that I go to lunch with sometimes are going to meet today at this meal-making place and put together twelve dinners to freeze. We are splitting the meals so we each pay half the price.

5 Comments:

At 4:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That meal making sounds interesting what kind of dinners did you make? Hope your feet are 100% soon!

 
At 5:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sarah,

I made a couple chicken and pasta dinners, jambalaya, chicken and biscuits, chicken stir fry, lemon thyme steak, chicken cacciatore, ham and mushroom crepes, orange pork chops, sausage lasagna, and Swedish meatballs. I'm going to have the jambalaya tomorrow for dinner. The rest of the stuff went into the freezer. I'll probably cook a couple of the meals a week until they are gone.

Thanks for the encouragement about my feet.

Angela

 
At 6:21 PM, Blogger Andrea said...

I have never heard of a meal making place. That sounds pretty cool, though.

 
At 5:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Moon-Spinner,

I went to a place called "My Girlfriend's Kitchen." My friend and I made 12 meals for $199. Except for the crock pot meals, we split the meals (they recommend not splitting the crock-pot meals). We each took home one entire crock pot meal. We also spit the price. So I got eleven meals for about $100. My chicken cacciatore is probably enough food for two meals since my kids eat almost nothing if the food is good for them. That will make the food last for 12 meals.

We have another meal-making place around town. It's called Meal Makers. I think you select your food item-by-item so the total price varies depending upon which dinners you choose.

My Girlfriend,s Kitchen was simpler. My friend and I just picked 12 of the 14 dishes available this month. Later we found that we could choose to make up to two of each one. If you have any interest, I think their web page is www.mygirlfriendskitchen.com. I don't know if they have any in your area, though.

While I wouldn't call the prices expensive, I wouldn't call them cheap, either. At our house, spending that much per dinner is an expensive dinner, but I'm aware going out to eat costs a lot more. We don't do that much.

Anyway, the dinner-making place preps all the food--cuts up the vegetables, puts the meat into a zip-lock bag, makes the sauces, and sets them out in a refrigerated station with appropriate measuring devices. The herbs and spices are also at the station with an appropriate measuring spoon in them. Each station has a sign naming the dish (match it up to what you signed up for), listing the number of freezer bags and/or aluminum pans you will need to put your dinner in, and then the recipe of how to make it (what to dump into each freezer bag mostly, although a lot more assembly was needed for the lasagna and the ham crepes). When it's bagged or panned, you find the right sticker for the package naming the dish, describing what's in it, and telling you how to cook it.

Then you go home and freeze any meals you won't be using in the next couple days.

Angela

 
At 8:40 AM, Blogger Andrea said...

That is a brilliant set up. I wonder how they do business wise. I think I will look into it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home