Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Health

N's doctor called this morning with the results of his CT scan. His brain is normal. We will proceed with the assumption his headaches are migraines. If he has more problems with intense headaches now that he's taking the Periactin, I think the doctor will refer him to a pediatric neurologist.

On Monday on the way home from preschool, I first noticed that I thought I was getting a bladder infection (UTI--urinary tract infection). About an hour-and-a-half later, I was certain and I was on the phone trying to get a doctor's appointment. I got one later that day. Fortunately Mr. K was able to stay home with the kids (and wait for N's bus) so I got to go alone. I did have a UTI. I also had blood (I couldn't see it but the test said it was there) in my urine, so I need to go back in six weeks to produce another pee sample to make sure all is well.

I got an an antibiotic that I only take once a day for three days. Today was my last dose. It was called Levaquin. I'm feeling much better though I wouldn't say I'm fine, but I guess it continues to work even after I take the final dose.

I got an e-mail from my dad today that he went to the doctor for an ear infection, and they gave him an antibiotic. While he was there, they found his blood pressure was very high--more than might be caused by the ear infection, so they've put him on blood pressure medicine, run blood tests, and told him to come back in two weeks.

For anyone who wants to know what my sterilization cost me, I had a $35 co-pay to see my doctor about it before hand. The follow up appointment had no co-pay. I paid a $100 co-pay to the hospital the day I was there for the blood work. I got a $5 prescription for Percocet, and I needed another bottle of ibuprofen (about $4). I had to buy the enema and the citrate of magnesium (less than $10), but they weren't necessary. The scheduling nurse had incorrectly informed me that I needed to use them the evening before the surgery. There may be more bills coming, but I have no way to know until they arrive. I'm sure the surgery was well over $1000, but the insurance covered the rest so far. It looks like it was around $150 for me to get sterilized.

Since I've taken the antibiotics, if I were depending on the pill to prevent pregnancies, I'd have to use a back-up birth control method (condoms-yuck!) until I started my next pack of pills. No need! I'm sterile. It's come in handy only a month after the surgery.

2 Comments:

At 1:51 AM, Blogger brillywazz said...

I'm glad that N's results came back clear. There's always that little niggle of fear that there might be something really bad going on.

Sorry to read about your UTI. Were the tablets you had to take the size of horse tablets? I'm glad they're working.

Isn't it nice not to have to worry about falling pregnant :-)

 
At 9:19 AM, Blogger Angela said...

I am relieved to know that the important part of N (his brain) is okay. I was just a bit worried.

My tablets are as small as a Tyelenol caplet (not big). I certainly hope I don't get another UTI for a few years, and that when I do my pee test in about six weeks, that all is well.

It is very nice to not worry about another pregnancy now that I am certain I don't want to do it again.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home