Sunday, December 16, 2007

Survived the Birthday Party


It kept me up a while in the night, though. I only had one game (the bingo game) to play if the weather was bad and the kids had to stay inside for two hours. I was worried the rain wouldn't stop, and I'd be trying to entertain a group of little kids with a deck of cards. I wondered if their moms would care if Mr. K taught them to play craps (I also have dice). I wondered if they were old enough to play Yahtzee.

After church we started setting up for J's party. I had purchased lots of party stuff at the dollar store (surprisingly cups, napkins, and plates were made in the U.S.A.) , so all Mr. K had to do was run out to buy a bag of ice and a bag of Doritos (which I had forgotten to get at the store last night).

We taped a pink plastic tablecloth to the table, and it was so long on one end, I cut it. We used the cut piece to cover the rolling kitchen island upon which we put the punch bowl and the vegetables. One of these days, I should learn better than to put out a vegetable tray for kids. They never eat any.

We all stuck butterfly stickers on the pink table cloth to decorate it. When the first guest arrived, I made the punch. I mixed a quart of raspberry sherbet with a 2-liter of Sprite. It was interesting but good. We used the bottom part of a thermos as an ice bucket.

I ordered pizza, and I had them cut it what they called "Chicago style." I told them I wanted appetizer squares small enough for kindergarteners. The kids liked the pizza.

Here is what I discovered about the food:
a) Only I and my friend Lori ate any vegetables--don't bother next time
b) Everyone ate pizza
c) Everyone at least tried the punch; most liked it--it was pink and pretty
d) Very few Doritos were eaten--I was surprised, and I think I'd skip chips next time.

We never did play Bingo, which was fine with me. It was a last resort thing if we ran out of stuff to do. We did play the game in the yard where the kids find the pennies after I scatter them around. Mostly the kids just played together in the yard.

I'm wondering if something like cheese straws might be something to try when N talks me into having a party for his birthday in the spring. I'll probably forget about it or come up with a reason it won't work.

One of the kids who came got J what I thought was a stuffed elephant for a present. Then he said it was a Webkinz. Hearing that was painful. I'm sure she will like it, though. I helped her set up an account at the Webkinz site, and N helped her play some games there. He's grounded from the computer until tomorrow, but I was glad to let him help her because I found the whole thing so painful.

Anyway, the party is over, and it went quite well. I am so relieved.

2 Comments:

At 9:42 PM, Blogger brillywazz said...

I'm glad everything went well for J's party and you survived.

Webkinz haven't arrived in Australia yet.... I'll keep my eyes open for one so I can see what they are.

 
At 6:13 AM, Blogger Angela said...

Consider yourself lucky if they never arrive. As far as I can tell, you get a stuffed animal with a secret code that allows you to set up an account online and "adopt" the animal. Your account is good for one year. You can then pay to renew it (I don't know how much) or purchase a new Webkinz with another code. I think they cost about $10 to $13 dollars, but I've never bought one.

I'm not sure what an account does. I know she can play computer games with it at their website. I really don't want to know. The screens are bright, busy, noisy, and colorful. It pains me just to look at them.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home