Sunday, December 09, 2007

Anatomy of an American Toilet




I doubt anyone but me cares, but I was so intrigued with Brilly's comment about her toilet having two buttons (how do the button's work--is the toilet electric?), I felt inspired to photograph my toilet and discuss the parts, even though I don't know for sure what they are called, but I sort of know what they do.

I did mark letters and little red arrows on the pictures, so to see them, you'll probably need to click on the image to make it larger.

A is my flush handle on my toilet. It is purely a mechanical lever. When you push it down, inside, a metal "beam" goes up. The inner "beam" I'll call a lever is item C on the first toilet tank gut picture and is I on the second picture. I took shots of both my toilets because I was stunned to find my new toilet (the one shown in the original picture) has the float ball mechanism (B). I thought those only came in old toilets. I had to go shoot other toilet to show the fluid master valve assembly (J).

Item D is a post that has a flapper connected at the bottom. I couldn't get that in the shot. Item G is the flapper in the second toilet. H tries to show the chain that connects the lever to the flapper, but the angle is poor. The flapper is what lets the water out of the tank (because the lever lifts it) and into the bowl when one flushes and then goes back into place to seal the tank off from the bowl so it can be refilled. Items F and E are the water lines (refill tube) that bring in the fresh water after you flush. They are ultimately connected to the fill line to the toilet at the bottom of the tank.

In the first toilet, the float ball rides on top of the water as the tank refills. It's arm is connected to a shut off mechanism. When the ball rides high enough on the water, the water supply cuts off. In the second picture, there is a floating piece that rides up a post and shuts the water off when it floats high enough.


1. You push the lever on the outside of the toilet.

2. It acts as a lever that mechanically lifts the flapper valve and lets water drain from the tank into the toilet. That surge of water makes the material in the toilet bowl go away (down the drain) and then refills the bowl with some water. As the tank empties (water level drops), the floating mechanism drops, opening the valve that allows the water to fill the tank.

3. When the tank empties, the flapper valve falls back into place, sealing the tank from the bowl.

4. The water continues to fill the tank until the float mechanisms are high enough to shut the valve that fills the tank with fresh water.

I'm guessing Brilly's toilet is very similar except somehow she has a different kind of mechanism to raise the flapper valve since hers has a button. Why two buttons? Maybe one is for little business and the other is for big business (one dumps half the tank into the bowl and the other drops the entire tank into the bowl).

Probably more important than any of this is why on Earth am I so interested in the mechanics of a toilet? All I can say is it might be that same lump of curiosity that drove me into engineering in college, or perhaps it is merely the desire not to have to pay a plumber any more than is necessary, especially considering I am now responsible for the functioning of two toilets at my house, and a total of eight more in our rentals.

7 Comments:

At 2:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lol ah you make me laugh Angela.

I have seen those toilets in our travels as well, we have an older toilet that isn't a water saving one yet so we have just the one button on top but will be getting a new cistern and get the dual flush to save some water at some stage....your right the dual flush is just to do with the amount of water that is released, inside i'm sure they work on the same basis...although our water apparently goes the different direction to yours :)

 
At 4:35 PM, Blogger Angela said...

What exactly is a cistern? I think of it as being a sort of tank or rain barrel that collects water you can use on your garden. Does your toilet flush with rain water and not drinking water?

Also, I'm unclear on what you mean about your water going in the other direction. Does it have to do with having pipes overhead (I think Brilly mentioned it once) instead of coming up from below as we do? Please do explain since I have such a fascination with piping.

 
At 4:50 PM, Blogger brillywazz said...

I'm really busy right now but I promise that I'll photograph the inside of my toilet tonight so we can compare. I was so pleased to see the photos because I had the same idea but I thought you'd think I was strange!

 
At 5:15 PM, Blogger Angela said...

Brilly,

I was hoping you'd share pictures of your toilet, but I thought you'd think I was strange to ask, so I figured I'd show mine first. I almost entitled the post, "I'll show mine; will you show yours?"

Now, if my husband ever sees this post, he'll think I've lost my marbles.

 
At 6:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lol ah you have cracked me up with your posts today.

The cistern bit is what we call the bit where all the water goes, well i think thats it, i'm not up there with plumbing technology... ours flush with however its plumbed so here ours is town water which is drinkable, if we get a water tank then that could be plummed into the toilet which would be rain water.

As for the water the other way isn't it to do with the northern and southern hemisphere thing...? Although i just googled it and some say it is and others say its an urban ledgend so no idea :)

Our pipes come from below as well, i can take a picture of our one button toilet but i'll leave the insides to Brilly :) i prob won't be able to get my lid back on if i take it off...

 
At 10:23 PM, Blogger brillywazz said...

Not all houses have pipes going through the roof. I just happen to have lived in two houses where they do.

The water thing is supposedly a myth but cyclones do travel in opposite directions in each hemisphere.

I have no idea why we use drinking water to flush our toilets. New houses built in my area must have a water tank but old ones don't.

I've posted the photos....the inside of your cistern is a lot cleaner than mine.

 
At 11:07 AM, Blogger Angela said...

I just flushed my toilet and my water moved in a clockwise fashion as it went down the drain.

I have noticed your cyclones are backwards from ours. Around here, when the remains of a hurricane go through, you want to be on the west side of the eye. The east side seems to have much worse storms with tornadoes.

I'm glad we do use drinking water for our toilets. Just think of the crud that would build up in the tank (cistern) if you weren't using clean water. I guess you could overcome that with a filtering system, though.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home