Call from my N's teacher
N's teacher called to talk to me about N during her planning period. Apparently on Monday in art class (his teacher's planning period that day so she wasn't there herself), N and a friend were caught by the art teacher making up a song full of the F-word and singing it loudly. I was aware there had been a problem because the other kids mom had been at the school at the time so she already knew, and she mentioned it to Mr. K last night at N's Cub Scout den meeting.
Last night, N was denying that he ever made up a song with the H-word. I believe him. Now I hear the song was full of the F-word. That makes sense; N doesn't usually tell outright lies. He's a lot like Bill Clinton, the truth is very definition dependent. His teacher made him write an apology letter to his art teacher, but N doesn't seem remorseful. We'll be having another discussion tonight.
Also, the teacher mentioned N still has an attitude problem. He writes short boring sentences about how much he hates what they are doing. His simple sentences are more at the first grade level. I told her I'd probably do the same thing myself if I were bored (I think I did do a lot of writing about how much I hated what we were doing.) I don't have a solution to that problem because I'd probably still do the same thing today if I were forced to write. I suggested if it's the level of writing she's concerned with, she should pin him down with tighter parameters such as use of adjectives, dependent clauses, etc.
On the bright side, the teacher told me N has earned a lot of Advanced Reading (AR) points from taking tests about the books he reads. When he gets to 100 (and he might already be there), she'll make a big deal out of it and give him a certificate in front of the class.

4 Comments:
I hope the teacher can find a way to capture N's attention. When bright kids get bored they often get up to mischief.
I think that's part of N's problem, plus he's very bad at self-control.
He's at a funny age. I'm sure I read years ago that young boys have a surge of hormones around then. Not just testosterone but all the other hormones too. D was all over the place emotionally at that age. He had little self control and a short fuse.
I think age 8 is a bad year for boys too.
Hmm. Maybe hormones are making N so difficult.
Post a Comment
<< Home