Saturday, March 05, 2011

I fixed my drippy bathroom sink!

I did the actual repair myself, but Mr. K had to shut off the water for me since it took more strength than I have in my hands to get the shut-off valves to start to close, and he had to unscrew the philips screw under the little cap on the handle because I wasn't strong enough to do more than strip the head with the screwdriver. After that, the rest was all my work. I replaced the valve seat thingy. I did it once before years ago and was amazed when it worked. I've had the part for about a year, but the leak didn't get bad enough for Mr. K to start complaining until recently. I decided to give it a shot myself to save the minimum of $90 just to get the plumber to show up.

Mr. K doesn't do much plumbing. He leaves it to me, but usually I lack the strength to break nuts (and screws) free so I have to get him to help.

2 Comments:

At 9:05 AM, Blogger Andrea said...

Yay! I don't do much plumbing either. Mostly due to not knowing how to.

 
At 5:18 AM, Blogger Angela said...

Andrea, the way I've learned what I've learned is through home repair books and from talking to the guys at the hardware store. I only touch a project when the problem is bad enough that I know I'll have to hire a plumber. Then I have a shot at fixing it myself for a fraction of the cost. If I fail, I still have to hire a plumber, but I was going to anyway.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home