Monday, October 03, 2005

Monday

It's Monday. Both my kids are at school. It's the first time I've had alone since last Wednesday when they were at school. I've spent my first hour trying to do general cleaning around the house. Right now my kitchen floor and both my bathroom floors are drying from having been mopped.

Thursday I had my screening for Downs Syndrome and a couple other genetic problems with this fetus. All seems well. Getting an amniocentisis is now off the table. That is a great relief.

I'm still wearing my regular clothes. In fact I even put on a belt Sunday because I thought what I was wearing would look better with one. My jeans are definately tightening up at the waist, though. This Friday will be the end of Week 13, which I think will put me into the second trimester. I'm on my third pregnancy and I still don't have that completely sorted out. I guess that's because it's really pretty irrelevant except that I'll be able to get a flu shot in the second trimester, and I'm in the high risk group because I'm pregant so I can get one before the rest of the people. I think flu shots are supposed to open up to the general public around October 24.

Last Thursday we also had closing on the duplex my husband got so we can begin being landlords. He spent most of the weekend at the place, trying to evaluate and fix the vacant apartment. It will be a lot of work and a while before we are ready to find a tenant.

2 Comments:

At 11:58 PM, Blogger brillywazz said...

Glad to hear that the trans nuchal screening went well. I was happy to stop at that too, although my doctor told me I was very 'brave' to have a baby without an ammnio. Silly man, I could have smacked him :-)

Isn't it funny that when we have time alone and could take a relaxing bath or read a book, we end up cleaning! I had a couple of kid free hours today so I washed my floors and vacuumed :-)

I was interested to read about N's school lunch saga. Can I ask a few questions about school lunches? I notice that you pay a set amount, what sort of foods are available and are their levels of payment? Does the whole school sit down to lunch in a hall or lunchroom? Is there a menu for vegetarians?

Sorry to ask so many questions :-) We don't have a cafeteria, we have a canteen that is only open three days a week. They sell pies, lasagne, mini pizza, salads, sandwiches, milk, juice, fruit etc. No chips or lollies (except for sugar free) no coke or soft drinks, no cakes or biscuits. There's no set price, you pay as you go. The kids eat in their classrooms with their teacher so that no-one chokes. Then it is free play. If they are still eating they have to sit in a certain area. No playing and eating.

I think, especially in winter, that I'd like the kids to sit down to a proper lunch. Not just a sandwich, hastily gobbled, so that they can go and play :-)

 
At 10:44 AM, Blogger Angela said...

Moon-Spinner,

I don't have any preference. I'd have fewer years of clothing to keep around if it's a girl. Personally I think it's a boy. Of course I was sure my son was a girl when I was this far along in the pregnancy. I found out he wasn't when I had an ultrasound. I had no idea with my daughter. I asked no to know. Three weeks before her birth I concluded (correctly) she was a girl because I felt her drop. I never noticed that with my son, and there is an old wives' tale that one carries daughters higher.

Brilly,

I think I end up cleaning because I think I'll feel better when the kids return if my home is cleaner than if I rest or read.

I designate his money to go only to lunches and not to ala carte items (Things like Rice Krispie treats, Goldfish crackers, ice cream, French fries, etc.) There is a three-week cycle for hot lunches. Every week seems to make Friday pizza day. Today my son can pick one of the following: corn dog nuggets, cheeseburger, chef salad:chicken poppers, yogurt/cheese/crackers, PB&J sandwichch. Then he gets a choice of two of the following: potato selection, tossed salad, fruit, frozen fruit bar. I think he gets a milk, too, because he's always talking of how much he loves his chocolate milk. Every day offers a chef salad. The toppings vary. Every day also has the PB&J option and the yogurt/cheese/cracker option. I guess that's what a vegetarian has to make due with or bring his own lunch.

My understanding is that at lunch time all the kindegarten classed eat together in the cafeteria. No other grades use the cafeteria at that time. I think I use the word cafeteria to mean what you call a lunchroom. I might call it that too, but to me, a canteen is to put water in to carry it around.

I'm not sure if my son gets recess at lunch time. It seems like I had a lot more recess than he does.

It's very interesting to hear about your son's school lunch program.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home