Sunday, February 19, 2006

It's cold!

I've been very spoiled by all the lovely weather. Now it's cold. When I got up and checked our thermometer this morning, the temperature in our family room was 54 °F, and the outside temperature was 16.7 °F. Our family room is the coldest (or warmest in the summer) room in the house. I don't think its heating/cooling ductwork is completely in order. Also, my husband built a fire in our wood-burning stove in our living room last night, which isn't far from our heat pump's thermostat so for most of the evening, the heat pump wasn't operating so there wasn't even heat reaching that room once we closed our doors to go to bed. It's all of 59 °F back there right now, and that room adjoins the room with our computer so my fingers are stiff and cold.

We skipped church today. I had my alarm set to get me up in time last night, but as I was getting ready to go to sleep, I heard J have a very long, nasty coughing fit. I had forgotten she was too sick to go. Her overall behavior is pretty normal, but with all the snot and coughing, I didn't want to expose the congregation to her. I hate it when people bring obviously ill kids to church and they cough and sneeze all over us. We usually turn up sick Tuesday or Wednesday of the following week. Anyway, I shut my alarm off and got to sleep in a bit this morning.

K has taken the kids down the road to the creek. They are trying to see if there is any ice there to play on. It's not likely since it's only been very cold for just a day. They'll have a good time anyway as long as no one falls in. Sometimes they do, but it's only about an eighth of a mile away so they'll be fine even if they get a bit wet in this cold.

K did some trim painting yesterday upstairs in the room that will soon be N's. We'll probably move him upstairs shortly after the special "safe" space heater we've ordered for the room arrives. Right now he's too afraid to even go up there alone so this will be a fight. One day he'll be very glad to have an entire room to himself away from all of us. K and I share a room, and J will share her room with our baby.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home