Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Mom gone--bathroom mostly done

I took my mom to the airport this morning so she could fly home. The bathroom is mostly done, but I don't like it. I need to glue down the wallpaper better and paint it if I want the bathroom to look okay. Also, I need to get my husband to put up one of the shelves I took down.

The toilet shut-off valve had leaked; that's why the nail had popped up through the old vinyl (warped luan under the vinyl). The floor still isn't flat there, but no one walks that close to the toilet so I am going to ignore it. My mom and I re-did the luan and then put on more vinyl flooring. This vinyl looks like fake wood floor. I selected it by elimination. All the other 6' x 9' pieces were too light in color (last time my floor was too light and it always looked dirty). Last time when we re-did the bathroom floor, pulling off the baseboards ripped the wallpaper some, and we had to cover it up with this horrid border of wallpaper that looked like it was made from brown grocery bags. This time we knew we'd have to do something about the walls after taking off the border print again.

What the walls (and floor) really need is to be knocked out and replaced. We can't afford that, though. The walls were in too bad shape to just paint them so we papered them with white, textured, paintable vinyl wallpaper. Unfortunately, the seams aren't staying down. I'll try to glue them down better with some stuff for wallpaper. Then, I think I should paint the walls something other than white since it will be dirty in no time.

We put in a new toilet that fits the space better than the old one. I had a plumber come to fix the leaking shut-off valve, and while he was here, I had him install a new bathroom faucet and put the three-year-old toilet from the main bathroom into our bedroom bathroom, which had a toilet from 1980 in it.

I doubt this is completely coherent, but I don't have time to continue or to proof-read it; N is fussing away in his bedroom about something, and he's supposed to be asleep now. I'll see about a picture soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home