Friday, May 25, 2007

A little of this and that

J , K, and I are at home waiting for the call from the plumber to come in so we can rush to our rental to let them in. We were supposed to go to a friend of mine (who has a daughter exactly one year younger than J), but last minute she arranged to babysit for a neighbor who has three kids (one a niece or nephew) under the age of two. We concluded this wouldn't be a good day to come over. We'll try again to visit next Wednesday afternoon.

K is napping right now so I can write, and J is watching a horrid kid show called Caillou. It's Canadian.

The mother of a friend of N's just stopped by. I'm getting to know her a bit, but I wouldn't say we are friends yet. Perhaps someday. We know best her two youngest kids (of six kids). One is in N's grade and his Cub Scout troop, the other will be going to Kindergarten with J, but not necessarily the same class. There are five Kindergarten classes at the school, and I think the kids are assigned randomly to the classes. We give them eggs sometimes, and she stopped by with the egg cartons, some old bread ends to feed to our chickens, and a lovely homemade loaf of English muffin bread with a jar of blueberry "Simply Fruit." When I thanked her, I told her the bread will be gone by the time Mr. K goes to bed tonight.

Tomorrow we (N, J, K, and I) are going to a birthday party for a "friend" of K's. The invitation was to "Kate and family." Of course, K doesn't actually have friends. This little girl is the daughter of a friend of mine from playgroup, and she turned one earlier this month. Her parents are having a cook-out party for her (in reality the party is for them since a one-year-old doesn't give a darn about her birthday). Mr. K will be too busy working at the rental to go, and if he weren't, he wouldn't go anyway. Mr. K doesn't like to socialize and generally refuses to. I don't like to very much, but I do it more than Mr. K.

I think I should end here and dust and tidy up my bedroom a bit.

2 Comments:

At 4:01 AM, Blogger brillywazz said...

I was surprised to read that J's kindergarten year will have five classes. That would be 100 to 110 kids here. L's year has 44 kids, there's only supposed to be 20 kids per class in kindergarten but L's school has 22 in each. In first grade the limit is 22 kids per class, 2nd grade has 25 per class. It keeps going up until they hit 6th grade which has a maximum of 30 per class

 
At 6:43 PM, Blogger Angela said...

I think our classes are about the same size here. I think N had around 20 in his class last year. I don't know what the student teacher ratio has to be here, but I know it also goes up as the kids get older.

I think, as far as size goes (number of pupils), our school district is in the top 100 school districts in the U.S. Our entire county makes up our school district here. Of course, that has nothing to do with class size. We have a lot of elementary schools.

I had thought five kindergarten classes was a lot, then I though about the school I used to go with. We only had two kindergarten teachers, but they taught two classes a day--morning and afternoon, so we had four kindergarten classes at our school. I think our classes were slightly smaller.

N and J's school has full-day kindergarten. My brother's son in Michigan goes only half a day.

I've had college classes with at least 350 students in the class.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home