Friday, November 30, 2007

My decorating skills stink.

Yesterday, the fluorescent light in my kitchen suddenly failed. Both bulbs simultaneously became very dim. We know it wasn't the bulbs because Mr. K just changed them in the past three months. He fiddled with them for a while last night, and we concluded we needed a new light fixture.

I went to Lowe's today and bought a replacement incandescent light fixture. Not surprisingly, I picked one I hate now that Mr. K has rigged it into place (the anchoring, not the wiring, he wired it properly). I think it looks like a big breast with a nipple. That's not the problem. The problem is the glass on the fixture is more of an amber than white. I never noticed. I just struggled for a long time to find one that used three bulbs instead of two, wanting more light in the kitchen. The light is a sickly yellow, and it's pretty dim considering I put in compact fluorescent light bulbs since we tend to leave that light on a lot. Mr. K had such trouble putting it up, I don't dare tell him to take it down when I find one with white glass I like better.

Instead, I just keep complaining about how ugly the light is. It is ugly, and it's dim, even with three bulbs. I'm hoping Mr. K will offer to change it if I buy another one with white glass. If I can't get used to it, I may get desperate and try to change it myself. I get dizzy just climbing on a chair so using a ladder to reach the fixture makes me feel nauseas. So does the lighting in the kitchen, though, too.

I never pick out the right colors. My Pergo (laminate) flooring is red oak, and while I love the material, I think it's too pink. I picked out the color of Mr. K's paint on his office building. Once painted, I thought it looked like light pumpkin. Fortunately, he likes it. I think it's really ugly, but it is fading to a better shade.

I stick with white appliances whenever I can. Then it's harder to screw up.

2 Comments:

At 9:42 AM, Blogger Andrea said...

Your post made me laugh. I think we all have issues with decorating. Is there any way you can just buy a new white glass globe for the fixture? Then you won't have to unwire anything, you can just replace the glass.

 
At 10:23 AM, Blogger Angela said...

I've thought about that, but I don't see how I can just find one that will fit into the fixture, especially with the way Mr. K had to rig the suspension. Anyway, we both can benefit from my mistake (unless you already knew better). Next time I buy a light fixture, I will be sure the glass is white.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home