Kids Home
I've got all the kids home with me today and all of next week. It's spring break at school.
Yesterday when we were waiting for the bus, K dragged out an old backpack J gave her, which was almost as big as K, and she seemed to think she was then going to be able to get on the bus with N and J. She was sadly disappointed when I didn't let her go to the bus with them. She grabbed her backpack again this morning, hoping I had changed my mind, I guess. We were finally able to talk her out of it by convincing her that N and J wouldn't be getting on the bus today.
We've been to the gym this morning. Then we had to go to the office, the bank, and the gas station. We found Mr. K at the gas station, putting air into the tires of his truck. N and J were very impressed with that. We've never run into him before anywhere but the office.
N's birthday is tomorrow. While the kids had their last day of school yesterday, I was able to run out and pick up some presents for him. Tonight after the kids are in bed, Mr. K and I will have to get the presents wrapped.
N got screened in math and English for the school's gifted program. I just got the letter with the results this week, and he qualified in both areas. I have three options. One is to do nothing. Two is to put him in a different elementary school that is geared for gifted children. Three is to keep him at his school, but have him put part time in cluster groups with other kids who qualify as gifted but choose to remain at their regular school.
My preference was the third choice, partly for the convenience of having both kids at the same school close to here, and partly because I know N, and he's shy and wouldn't want to leave all his friends and have to go make new ones. I left it up to him, and he wants to stay where he is, but do the gifted stuff at his school. If he had really wanted to change schools, I would have signed him up to do that. What he said about that is, "They'll expect me to work too hard there." He's probably right about that, too.

2 Comments:
Congratulations to N for getting into the gifted program. It's good that his school can cater to his needs so that he doesn't have to change schools.
Yes, I'm glad about that. He's just not good at change. I don't think I'd change schools for him even if our school didn't have anything for him. I might when he is older, but not now.
Post a Comment
<< Home