Saturday, July 05, 2008

Independence Day

We had a pretty good Independence Day. We were going to cook out and have our neighbor (Mr. T, the one who lives in the shed) over, but it rained for a little while right when we put the meat on the grill. Mr. K kept the lid on the grill, and the meat cooked fine. We had to eat inside, though. I've never had Mr. T over for a meal eaten in the house before, but we have had him eat with us at the picnic table earlier this summer.

Anyway, Mr. T seemed rather tipsy at dinner. I don't think I've ever had a meal with someone drunk before--in college the drinking began after dinner. Anyway, while we were eating, he started describing some bad fish he and his buddy got at the supermarket one time, and how bad it smelled. It was all I could do not to fall on the floor laughing. All I could think of is what my mom would look like if someone dared discuss something so icky during dinner.

About an hour after dinner, we lit our bonfire. Mr. T came over (with three beers for the evening). We told stories, sang (poorly) some songs, made s'mores, did some shadow boxing, played with glow sticks, and Mr. K brought out some mead for the adults. Mr. K had a beer left unfinished at the end of the evening because he switched to mead, and I made some comment that he could save it for breakfast. I was mistaken; he started it just before I took the kids in to bed. He and Mr. K were to have put out the fire, but once I got the kids in bed, I came out and they were still talking by the fire. Mr. T was very drunk by that time, and I had Mr. K escort him back to his shed to make sure he made it home okay.

The kids took their glow sticks to bed. Unfortunately, one of K's leaked in the night. I got up with her when she was crying in the night, and I noticed a couple spots on her bed were glowing, as was the cuff of her pajamas. In the morning, I could see it was a lot of places in her bed, mixed in with the crayon she'd colored her sheets with last week.

K was up crying a lot in the night. I spent a couple hours getting up with her a lot before I gave up and just let her cry. Finally I just let her cry. I think she might be getting a cold. Today I'm dead tired from missing so much sleep.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home