Saturday, July 12, 2008

No more sunscreen for K

Yesterday I took K to the pool, too, and discovered she's allergic to sunscreen, just like N. The thing is, she had a reaction to the metal oxide type that N is able to use with no problems. Fortunately, she recovered completely by morning. You can see where the sunscreen was put on thicker because she had more of a reaction to it. You can sort of make out the shape of my finger tips on her chest. As far as I know, it didn't hurt at all, but I still feel bad about it. I think I successfully put sunscreen on her last summer. I don't know what went wrong this year.

I had been keeping her pool visits to 20 minutes or less to not have to bother with sunscreen. I went for 30 minutes yesterday, so I broke out the sunscreen. I only put it a little on the places I thought she'd most likely burn. (I don't think she'd burn anyway in 30 minutes, but I didn't want to find out.)

Now I'll have to keep her in the shade all summer. She won't be able to spend much time at once in the sun. If this problem lasts, I'll have to explain it to her preschool and her school that she is NOT to wear sunscreen. They'll hate me for that because she'll be kept out of activities on field day. I don't know if N has outgrown his sensitivity because I only use the non-organic active ingredient type on him, which he's always been fine with.

A few weeks ago, K begged for a some moisturizer when I was getting ready in the morning. To humor her, I put a little on her cheek. I never made the connection, but I remember a few weeks ago she had a strange red blotch on her cheek. It must have been the day I did that. My moisturizer has sunscreen in it. It was the type that uses an organic chemical (not a metal salt) as its active ingredient.

2 Comments:

At 7:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh no poor K, i have never heard of that. We have all in one swimsuits here i guess you have them there?? They are sun proof and other than her face would protect the rest of her at least...

 
At 4:35 AM, Blogger Angela said...

I've not heard of all in one swimsuits, but I've never looked into such a thing. I think I'll have to if K gets plans to spend significant time at the pool or a beach. I do have a sun-proof hat for her if she'll keep it on.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home