Sunday, July 13, 2008

Plumbing Success (I hope)

We all made a trip to one of our vacant rental houses today. It's one of the two from which Mr. K did and eviction while I was on vacation. Fortunately, the lady left it quite clean. It's the one that took us forever to get rented last summer and Mr. K took someone who couldn't get the entire security deposit together, but he was so tired of trying to find a tenant he took a gamble on her. Then she never had the rent together, and he had to begin the eviction process several times, and she'd show up with money at the last minute. Finally, no money appeared. It's just as well, because had she stayed, we'd have had to decide it we'd be willing to renew the lease or just make it end.

Anyway, apparently the float ball in the back of the toilet (mine doesn't have one--different water cut-off mechanism) had broken off its stand because the plastic became brittle and broke. Mr. K watched the kids downstairs while I used a $10 part and was able to replace the feed tube and float ball mechanism. Once I had to get Mr. K to pull something apart because my hands weren't strong enough. Anyway, it appears, I was able to successfully install the mechanism, and the toilet is fine. I sure hope I'm right. It was much cheaper than having a plumber come out.

I also spent a little while cleaning out the tub, the mirror, and tidying up the floor so it will be one thing less Mr. K will need to do before we look for another tenant. Apparently, the evicted tenant took the towel bars with her, but left the piece attached to the walls where they connect. I have no idea what she' plans to do with the towel bars without the part that attaches to the walls. Also, she took the shower curtain.

As I mentioned, though, she left the place in very good condition otherwise.

1 Comments:

At 12:05 AM, Blogger brillywazz said...

Well done on fixing the toilet. I hate paying for plumbers :)

I have no idea what your tenant plans to do with the towel bars...... what a strange thing to take.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home