Thursday, May 19, 2011

Liming my leg hair away

I've been trying to dissolve the hair on my legs with a depilatory. In other words, I'm trying to eat the hair off with lime (mine is a calcium hydroxide-based depilatory). There is a ten minute maximum on the stuff, and right at ten minutes (after checking at 8 and finding it not done), I got a return phone call from my exterminator since I've been seeing ants around the house. It was weird trying to talk on the phone and rinse my legs at the same time. I finished the job off with a dousing in white vinegar (my idea) since I was worried there might be residual lime on my legs and I wanted to neutralize it. I didn't shower or take a bath; I just soaped my legs down under the tub faucet to get rid of the junk.

Why do I want my legs done? I think I ought to wear shorts more, even though I hate them unless the temperature is in the upper 90s. Any breeze, and I get cold.

Why do I want to wear shorts more? I just found out from a blood test my gynecologist ran at my pap smear last week, that my Vitamin D is very, very low. I don't know the units, but I am at 12 when I should at least be at 40. She's put me on weekly a very high dose, and daily 1000 IU. The prescription high dose (50,000 IU) I take for twelve weeks. Then I go back and see her two weeks later an my levels are checked. I'll probably need to keep taking the 1000 IU for maintenance.

I guess low Vitamin D could explain a lot. 1) Why I ache a lot of the time (I just figured I was fighting off every virus that runs rampantly through the house). 2) Why I'm so tired a lot (I figured it was dealing with the stress of school and work and the constant neediness of the kids).
It used to be that if the kids just would go away for a while and everyone would leave me alone, I'd immediately feel very good. Now I just fall asleep.

Perhaps it explains what I had the blood test for originally. I was having the thyroid test done, but I guess the doctor added the Vitamin D. Maybe the tests are a package deal. I don't know. I've been astounded how rapidly my metabolism has slowed so the doctor was checking my thyroid levels (which are fine). I used to be able to eat anything and everything and not gain an ounce. Now, even if I'm hungry all the time, my weight tends to be rise or at best hold constant.

I'm having a physical with my regular doctor next week (I need it for nursing school), and she'll have my lab results too. I'm sure she'll answer all the questions I have.

4 Comments:

At 11:56 AM, Blogger Andrea said...

I use Veet and so far I really like it. Even if the hair doesn't immediately dissolve or fall out, I find that it usually will after I've had a shower and go a day or two.

 
At 12:23 PM, Blogger Angela said...

I used Veet in a pump. I did notice some hairs that didn't go away. I'm glad to hear they may go away yet. My legs are a little to raw to shave any time soon.

 
At 8:56 PM, Blogger Rhiannon said...

Hey, I hope the vitamin D supplements have you feeling bright eyed and bushy tailed soon.

It's not necessarily to do with your total sun exposure, but the hours of the day and the latitude too.

 
At 5:15 AM, Blogger Angela said...

Some days I no longer bother with the moisturizer with sunscreen in it. I don't spend much time out in the middle of the day. It's usually more in the evening.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home