Friday, April 29, 2005

We have new chicks!

Yesterday evening, the first of our chicks hatched. We had a second one hatch this morning. Then during the day a couple more came out. K helped a couple get out later in the afternoon (something he said we shouldn't do for fear of hatching weak chicks). The last to K assisted are getting trampled by the ones that came out by themselves earlier. Hopefully once they'll be fine tomorrow.

Tomorrow K will move the chicks from the incubator to the brooder. I'll get to open the eggs that didn't hatch. I'm curious about whether or not the chickens developed at all or if something went wrong with them as they developed. Keith thinks the ones that died after pecking to get out and failing may have failed because the humidity was too low in the incubator which made the shell membrane too hard for them to get out. Oddly enough, the only eggs that have hatched so far are our brown eggs. None of the green eggs produced a chick.

The kids have been invited to a birthday party Sunday afternoon. I need to get their friend a present and card. Hopefully K will watch the kids while I do this so I can just grab what I need and run. I don't want to have the kids with me and have to put up with their begging for toys and getting into everything.

N started itching at the site of yesterday's shots. I tried Lanacane. It only worked for about ten minutes. I called the health department, and was lucky enought that the person who answered was one of the people at the school giving the shots, and she remembered my son (probably because he tried to run away when he found out he was getting a shot). They had me give him some Benadryl. It seems to have worked, but of course it's left him drowsy.

Right now he's out in the yard with his dad. We didn't get much rain, but it kept the day damp. I don't think it did much for my plants. The sun seems to be trying to come out.

J has just awakened from her nap and she's yelling for me so I need to stop here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home