Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Fifth cold of my pregnacy

I'm suffering from the fifth cold of this pregnancy. I'm not sure I'm spending more time ill than last winter, but at least my problems are just colds this winter.

Last winter ('04-'05) I had a couple mystery fevers, one of which I think was Fifth Disease. That's what I concluded when my kids caught it (without feeling ill) but burst out in the slapped-face rash and then a torso rash. I had six days of fever (they didn't) but I only got a torso rash and not the slapped-face. Then I got achy finger, wrist, and feet joints, which I saw online were a common symptom in adults. Anyway, it passed and is only dangerous when one is preganant, and I wasn't pregnant that winter.

Ever since I had my son and put him in daycare, I have been catching every darned thing that goes around (thankfully except influenza). I got a slight break during the time I had him home with me (age 10 months) and before I put him in preschool (age 3). I still caught some stuff, but not endlessly.

I remember one year my mom mentioned she hadn't had a cold in over five years so she thought she was finally immune to them since she'd been around people with colds at work and hadn't caught them all that time. Then she came and visited us while we were ill (pretty much any time during the school year). She was horridly ill with a cold by the time she flew back home and had to see a doctor since her cold had turned into bronchitis.

I shouldn't complain just about the school year, though, because at least twice since I had my son, he has come down with enteroviruses in the summer. It's with these I pay to see the doctor only to find out that's what it is, and all you do is just wait it out. Last time N, J, and I all had the enterovirius. It happened to be hand, foot, mouth disease, and the doctor was excited to show us how it manifested itself with different symptoms in each one of us even though we all are related and live together.

I really shouldn't complain at all, though, because our problems have all been things that one takes an antibiotic for or just waits for a full recovery. Nothing serious. Right now my heel spurs look like the most serious thing I've faced. I hope they are fixable, but even if they aren't, one doesn't die from them.

I've just been feeling sorry for myself with the cold on top of the pregnancy discomforts, the heel pain, and the fatigue that comes in trimester three. Pregnancy and colds don't last though. I'll be in the too-dead-tired-from-lack-of-sleep-due-to-new-baby thing around the time Mama P is getting over hers. Then that, too, will pass, and I can return to life-as-usual, but with a bigger family :)

2 Comments:

At 9:40 PM, Blogger brillywazz said...

I hope your feeling better soon. I've picked up a cold from our eldest. It's an interesting thing when you have kids. I worked with the public for a long, long time and I had thought that I was reasonably immune to most bugs.

Along come the kids and I seem to catch everything!! My Mum often says how we're often ill but she doesn't hang out with kids all day :-) My kids have managed to pass all sorts of bugs onto her.

Also my elderly neighbours have caught more things since we've moved in :-( We don't mean to infect them but our eldest is a 'carrier' meaning that she might get something mildly and show no symptoms and the rest of us end up being really ill, including the neighbours! There are many times that she's had a mild cold or a mild upset tummy and we've all ended up severely ill!!

I was told a while ago that teachers in their first year or two in the classroom catch everything going around, no matter how strong their immune system. Kids are just walking germ bags :-)

I was pleased to read about Fifth's Disease (Slapped Cheek) and Hand, Foot and Mouth because they are things that I've only heard about since becoming a Mum. Kids germs are a whole new world :-)

Take care and keep as well as you can.

 
At 5:55 PM, Blogger Angela said...

Thanks for the well-wishes. I'm not better yet, but tomorrow is another day.

It is just amazing what germs one catches from children. Yes, Brilly, kids germs are a whole new world.

In their defense, though, I caught a lot of stuff my final year of college, when I was living in a dorm and barely sleeping in order to complete my senior design stuff. It was the sickest I'd ever been in my life (tonsillitis, mononucleosis, mononucleosis-induced hepatitis, pleurisy). Too bad I can't spell them, but I caught them all between January and March of the same year. Thankfully they are all things that are 100% cured. I had to take a couple "Incompletes" for certain classes, and the professors were kind enough to let me work into the summer to complete my degree.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home