Rotten day yesterday
I just got back from my ob/gyn appointment. All is well. I've had no changes in my cervix since I saw the doctor last week. That's good. She's going out of town for a week. She told me to "keep my legs crossed" until she gets back. (She was joking and doesn't think I'll be in labor next week.)
Yesterday was miserable. After picking up J from preschool, I thought we'd get something to eat at the restaurant that specializes in bagels. We got our food and went to the car. My car wouldn't start. I figured it was the battery since it is the original battery and is 5 1/2 years old. I took it to Sears in January to get a new Diehard in it, but they didn't have any in stock, and I hadn't found enough ambition to pursue it further. I got my oil changed and my tires rotated yesterday while J was at playgroup, and was considering getting the battery done next week while J was in preschool. I'm trying to get these things done before the baby is born. I called my husband first to see if he was nearby and could give me a jump. He wasn't. I called my roadside service. They connected me with a service provider. I couldn't give them a phone number because I don't know my cell phone's number. I never leave it turned on, and it's mostly for emergencies. In fact, if it rang, I don't know how to answer it, nor do I care.
Anyway the service provider said they'd be there in under 45 minutes. Once nearly 1 1/2 hours had passed while J and I sat in the hot car, I called back the roadside service people and reached the place that was supposed to jump start my car. They said they had been to my car and no one was in it. I said they either got the wrong car or they didn't bother to look inside. Then I had to call the roadside service people back to get a new purchase order # to get the service provider to come back out. They put me on a 3-way call with the service provider. They said someone should be there in 30 minutes or less. Meanwhile, J was having a meltdown from the heat and boredom.
I called a friend of mine to come and get J and to stay with the car so I could use the bathroom at the bagel restaurant. The company who came to jump start my car came while I was in the bathroom, but my friend made sure he stayed. He got my car started just fine. We ended up spending two hours in the parking lot with a dead battery.
We got my car home in time to wait for my son's bus (if we hadn't, my husband would have had to go home to meet the bus). I called around and found a place that both sells and installs batteries quickly while one waits and was open in the evening. My husband had to jump start the car again, and my son and I went there after dinner. We had to wait a little while another person was getting something installed in her car, but then a guy came out and put in the new battery. The car started beautifully and has ever since it got the new battery.
Meanwhile, I've gotten rather dehydrated from sweating in the car and not drinking water due to no access to a toilet yesterday. It's got the contractions going again. I had seven contractions in the examining room before the doctor got to me (about 20 or 25 minutes), but they were rather gentle. So, I'm loading back up on water since I don't have to go anywhere that it is difficult to reach a toilet. I'm at the point where I pee before we go somewhere. I load the kid(s) in the car. I go back and pee again, and as soon as we get where we are going, I need to use the toilet yet again. Then once again before we leave. The baby has dropped some and is pressing more on my bladder.
Today it is about 70°F and sunny. We had lots of daffodils in bloom in the yard until J went outside to play. Now we have lots of daffodils in a vase in the house.

1 Comments:
Car trouble is bad. Car trouble with small children is very unpleasant. I think it's because kids are unable to grasp the reality of the situation. "I want to go home right now!" is impossible to do when the car won't start. Fortunately, this is the first time this car has failed me, and it was such a simple fix that I can't complain now that the day is but an annoying memory.
Post a Comment
<< Home