Monday, July 23, 2007

My baby got poisoned

I was making dinner, and Mr. K came in with K and told me he found her eating the berries that formed on my arum. (I had been so pleased with the berries--this was the first time the plant made any.)

Fortunately, I had Poison Control's number taped to the top of an outlet near my phone. Our pediatrician had me do this when J was a baby, and it was good to have it there the day we found J with a toadstool in her mouth. Anyway, I had to wipe the dust off the tape so I could read the number. They looked the plant up while I looked up its scientific name in case there was any question about what she ate. There wasn't.

They told me the berries would burn her mouth and might cause nausea and vomiting. We didn't need to go to the ER because the worst that would happen was she would throw up. They told me to give her a sippy cup of water and keep an eye on her in case she started to throw up.

So far she hasn't thrown up, but we think her mouth has been hurting. From time to time she's started crying and poking at her mouth. I'm hoping and expecting she'll be fine in the morning. Mr. K picked the rest of the arum berries and dumped them over the fence. She's in bed sleeping peacefully right now, and I'm hoping everything will be fine tomorrow.

2 Comments:

At 10:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh no Angela, i hope she is ok and doesn't suffer from it!
They are so quick arn't they!

 
At 10:19 AM, Blogger Angela said...

K seems fine today, but her mouth might have hurt a bit when she got up. She's had no personality change from the experience. She's climbing all over the heap of her brother and sister who are playing on the floor. Hopefully no one will fall on her.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home