Monday, July 16, 2007

Some chick success

Mr. K was running two rounds of eggs in the incubator, three days apart. We lost the only two chicks we got from the first hatching. Since Mr. K set up the bucket for the chick that got too hot (and I had warned him I thought it might be, but he assured me he had checked it), he told me I had to set up the brooder for the new hatching. I used a much bigger plastic tote so there would be plenty of room for the chicks to get away from the lightbulb if it got too hot, and instead of covering the entire thing with a towel, I only did it partially at the light end. Then I left the meat thermometer in there for over an hour on the floor under the bulb to make sure it was warm enough (I had to add the towel to assure it got fully over 90 °F, without it it wasn't doing much better than 86°F). Then I checked the other side of the tote about three inches off the floor, and it was down around 80 °F so I figured the chicks could go wherever they felt it was right. I think when Mr. K had done it, he didn't leave the system in place in long enough to attain its temperature (it was still warming when he checked it), and he only took the temperature at the bottom of the bucket.

We got two black chicks yesterday, and they are still alive after spending the night in my brooder! One more hatched overnight, and it will join the other two this evening. I'm guessing that's all that will hatch, but I think Mr. K will give it another day before dumping the eggs that failed to hatch.

J is delighted with the chicks and says she is the mom.

4 Comments:

At 2:59 AM, Blogger brillywazz said...

Yeah! I'm so glad that your brooder worked and you have some chicks, baby chooks are pretty darn cute.
LOL at J being the Mom :-) It made me miss having chickens! D and S both had the chance to help raise chicks but L has never held one.

 
At 6:52 PM, Blogger Angela said...

Can you have chicks where you live? They are lots of fun and you already know how to care for them.

 
At 9:23 PM, Blogger brillywazz said...

We could but Bobby (the terrier) would spend the rest of his life trying to kill them :-)

 
At 6:31 PM, Blogger Angela said...

I forgot about your dogs. My cat is in the house and doesn't have access to the chickens. Plus the grown ones are larger than she is.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home