Insomnia
I'm up again in the night. I'll be sorry tomorrow, but it actually worked out well for my finding enough time at the computer to work on my JDS questions and answers for the Clubhouse. It just gets harder and harder to get time alone at the computer.
One chick hatched two evenings ago, and another hatched in the night tonight. That's what woke me up. I heard cheeping and the sound of something scraping hardware cloth, and for a minute I thought we had hamsters again. Then I realized it was probably a new chick, and I had to get up and see.
It took us three days, but we've finally got the soybean (edamame) crop in and frozen. Mr. K picked about a third of the plants each evening for three evenings and stripped of the seed pods. I blanched them and packed them in zip-lock freezer bags. I think we have 20 quart bags of edamame in our freezer right now. That will certainly last us until next year.
I picked my first tomato yesterday. It was only orange and not yet red, but I wanted to get it before the birds peck it when it turns fully red. It's on my counter to finish ripening.
I have cucumbers going out my ears. I've dumped bunches of them of on friends. Too bad I don't can, but these aren't pickling cucumbers anyway.
I still have a few zucchinis left, but they aren't going out my ears any more. Unless I am crazy enough to plant another plant, I think they'll be done in a couple weeks.
My mom has left for her first trip (which she'll let me call her honeymoon) with her new husband. They're going to a fish camp in Canada where they pretty much drive to what is almost the middle of nowhere, and then they get on a sea plane to actually land in the middle of nowhere at a lake. They'll be staying in a cabin on the lake. There are a couple more cabins on the other side of the lake. The cabin comes complete with an outhouse and no electricity. It also has a motor boat that will be fueled up for them. The sea plane comes back to pick them up a week later. My mom isn't expecting to even be able to hike because this place is supposed to be so overgrown that there aren't any trails. All there will be to do is go fishing, use the outhouse, read books, play cards, and do whatever else the fact that they are on a honeymoon might inspire them to do. They are trapped for a whole week. I don't even think my mom likes to fish that much. I like to fish more than she does, and even if someone would watch my kids, I think I'd pass on being stuck for a week at fish camp. I told her to have a good time, but better her than me.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home