Weird letter
Last night I got a strange letter for Mr. K. (I open the mail at our house and only bother Mr. K with certain things. Since I pay the household bills, he seldom sees them himself, regardless of to which one of us they are addressed.) It was from the mortgage company at our duplex. We both own the house, but he's the only one on the mortgage.
Anyway, it was a letter with an attached form. It said that a third party (my name was listed there) had requested information about the mortgage, and that if he signed the attached authorization form, they could provide the information to me. The thing is, I have no memory of calling the mortgage company ever, let alone this month. Mr. K wasn't concerned, but I was. I wanted to find out what address "I" had given them when I requested information about the loan. I got on hold for a very long time. When I finally reached a live person, of course, I had to put Mr. K on so that he could authorize their speaking with me.
Their records didn't have any address for "me," but it looked like a telephone call from me for information about the loan had generated a computer sending Mr. K a letter to authorize them to release to "me" information. I mentioned to the lady that we are in the process of getting a mortgage for another piece of property, so she has a guess about what might of happened.
Someone at the mortgage company we are using for the loan we are trying to get on our new rental house may have called the other mortgage company pretending to be me (not realizing that while I am an owner of the property, I'm not on the mortgage) in order to get whatever information they need. This person would have done this to save time and the faxing back-and-forth of forms needed to request the information properly. The timing is right, and it makes some sense, so I'll go with it.
Just to be safe, I had the lady not record in the computer Mr. K's verbal authorization for them to speak with me last night because she said the authorization would last 30 days. I'd hate it if we were completely wrong about what happened, and someone trying to steal my or Mr. K's identity got through and discussed stuff with them.
I ran the letter and the authorization through the shredder. If I need to speak with them about the mortgage (and I can't imagine why), I'll just get Mr. K to authorize it again.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home