Dishwasher woes
I now have a dishwasher that doesn't leak. The thing is, it doesn't work correctly, either. I ran my first load yesterday, and it wasn't done after five hours. I called Whirlpool, and they think it sounds like something wrong with the heating element. They will send someone here on Wednesday afternoon to fix it.
I won't go into all the details here since they bore and frustrate me, but I found that the dishwasher is broken after I pay a plumber to install it, and he has to make many modifications to my plumbing to make room for the unit. It is deeper than the old one, and doesn't fit into the hole well even now because it bumps against the drain and water pipes in the back of the cupboard it fits into. In my kitchen, the piping is in the back of the cupboards because there is no basement beneath the kitchen, and no access to the space below the kitchen. The plumber moved the water line and drain line all the way back against the back wall of the cupboard to just gain a couple inches of space in which to push in the dishwasher. The door sticks out a couple inches from the cabinets, but I could live with that if only it would wash dishes.
Our power was out for a while. Thursday evening we had a huge thunderstorm. It was one of the worst ones I've ever seen. We had hard rain and thunder and lighting here from around 8 p.m. until at least 2 p.m. (when I finally fell asleep). Our power went out before 9 p.m. It came on yesterday afternoon. It made things a little trickier for the plumber, who finished the job yesterday. Mr. K's rain gauge said we got 4.5 inches (there was a little gap unfilled above that). I told him the rain was coming down hard enough that I think it overflowed his gauge and the gap was only because it splashed out. He didn't agree. Then I found my Brita water pitcher, which had been left out empty to sit on top of a bale of straw N is using as an archery target. It was full except for a gap at the top. Mr. K measured that. It held six inches. I think we got more than that and it splashed out, but Mr. K doesn't think so. We'll never know because I don't have anything else out there that held more.

5 Comments:
We don't have basements or cellars here so all of our piping (water coming in) runs through the roof and our drainage runs behind the house, underground. The access point to my drainage is covered with pavers so it's a horrible job to expose it.
My dishwasher doesn't fit properly either. If anything goes wrong with it I doubt we could get it out. That's because my house was built when Australia still used imperial measurement, then we swapped to metric. I can't just buy an oven or dishwasher of the shelf (so to speak) I have to measure everything. It's annoying.
It's raining here today but not a great amount. Just enough to be annoying :-)
I've never heard of plumbing coming in through the roof. As far as I know, even without a basement, people's plumbing meets up by going underground and coming up in a crawlspace. My dad's house is on a concrete slab (no crawlspace), but his plumbing was put in place before the concrete was poured.
I remember your mentioned the way things had to be rigged to fit your new stove.
I hope your weather improves.
I am so jealous. I want rain! We need it desperately. Our grass is all brown and crunchy.
Our grass was that way until the rain fell. Even with the rain (and we got another inch last night) we are still having voluntary watering restrictions in my county.
The mains water runs across the front of our yards and the house pipes run from there underground until they reach the hot water service. From there they go into the wall cavity and across the roof to each room that needs water. It's a pain if you have knocking pipes cause the noise is either in a wall or the roof.
The other problem with having pipes in the roof is that in summer when it can be 40C+ here the pipes get hot so that when you turn on the cold water it is actually hot enough to burn you. In winter the hot water has to travel through really cold pipes and takes ages to get hot.
Post a Comment
<< Home