Friday, August 10, 2007

Lost another chick

Today J wanted me to wake up the female chick. She wouldn't wake up (dead). I got rid of her. Now we have just a little cockerel left. I'm afraid he's lonely since he wasn't ever alone until today. I took him out to our deck and lured the other chickens to the deck with bread so he could see and hear them. He was twice the size of the chick that died, and I'd been worried about her because she hadn't been growing. I pick him up more now since he's alone, but I don't want to get too attached because we'll end up eating him. We would have kept the female.

Mr. K has another batch of eggs in the incubator so perhaps we'll get more chicks in a couple weeks (I forget when they're due).

I'm contemplating taking a trip to Washington, D.C. with N, J, and K. Mr. K won't go. I was thinking of catching the Amtrak in Glen Allen and then riding it to Washington. (I'm the only one I know around here who doesn't call it D.C.) I'll have to do it on a Saturday because I don't want to have a bunch of commuters on the train, and I don't think we'll go until after school starts. I need to figure out what kid-friendly things I can do. It looks like my diaper bag will have to get searched at most places in Washington to assure I'm not a terrorist or a criminal. If I go ahead with my plans, I'll need to come up with stuff to do for about five or so hours. We'll arrive around 1:05 and leave around 7:30. I could arrive earlier if I wanted to leave earlier, but I can't imagine why I would want to do that. It will be hard finding enough stuff to do with K. Since she's less than two, she rides the Amtrak for free.

4 Comments:

At 4:57 AM, Blogger brillywazz said...

Sorry to read about the chick. 'Failure to thrive' is such an annoying thing because you rarely get answers except that those animals are usually smaller and less active and aggressive in their own survival.
We had a hand raised rooster called Homer. He was like a pet, he even went to school for show and tell. Luckily he was a bantam and too small to eat..... he'd have made a great stock though! LOL.

I'm pretty excited about your trip to Washington. I hope you take your camera. There's something about Amtrak that really interests me, I'm not a train enthusiast but there's something about Amtrak that makes me want to ride one. I almost did in 1992 but allowed myself to be talked onto a small plane instead. I caught trains in Europe and Britain but never in the U.S.

Have fun planning your day out. Include plenty of links so I can see where you're going..... please?

 
At 8:34 AM, Blogger Angela said...

I hope we don't lose the little cockerel from loneliness. So far, he doesn't like being picked up, and he hides when he thinks I'm going to.

I hadn't planned to take my camera if I go to Washington, but I'll give it some thought. I didn't want to have to carry it around (I already need a diaper bag), and I don't want to worry about its getting stolen.

I haven't ridden on an Amtrak since I went from East Lansing to Battle Creek to tour the Kellogg plant when I was a kid. I've read that trains are much nicer in Europe. What might be fun, if one had all the time in the world and no small children, would be to travel across the country on the Amtrak.

I'll look into including links, but I'm not very good at it. Right now I'm contemplating going to the zoo, but then I have to take the Metro (subway). I've also asked my friend that I lunch with if she'll go with me (I'll even buy her ticket), and she's thinking about it. We never have enough time to talk when we go to lunch, but I think on a two-hour train trip each way, we'd run out of things to say finally. Also, having another adult would make things so much easier.

 
At 11:46 PM, Blogger brillywazz said...

One day I'm going to travel across your country by Amtak. It's a dream that I've had for a long time. I also want to travel across Canada by train and of course Australia.

We have a train that goes from Sydney to Perth straight across the centre of Australia. It takes four days. There's something wonderful about falling asleep in a sleeper berth.

I hope your friend can go to. It will make it easier and more enjoyable for you.

 
At 2:50 PM, Blogger Angela said...

I hope you are able to travel Canada, Australia, and the U.S. by train. I've never been in a sleeper car.

My friend won't be able to go with me because she's taking her parents there in late September, and doesn't have the urge to see it again so soon.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home