Saturday, December 22, 2007

First day of winter


It's the first day of winter, and I harvested three beets and a pak choi (miniature bok choi) this morning from the tiny winter garden I planted in August. My pak choi is very overgrown. No one likes it anyway. I might try steaming some for lunch, but I'll be the only one eating it.

I steamed the beet greens, and I'm roasting the tiny beets in the oven. I'll put them in a salad when they are tender. I'm the only one in the house who eats beats or pak choi.

My garlic and onions are beginning to sprout a little. My winter honeysuckle is getting some buds. It should bloom in a few weeks. The smell is wonderful, but the flowers don't look very impressive.

Mr. K brought in two eggs last night (brown) so we know that two of our buff orpingtons are laying again. When I was out in the yard today, I peeked in the nest box and saw a buff orpington in there.

Mr. K is spending the day at the rental house from which we had the successful eviction two Thursdays ago. He's waiting for the Department of Public Utilities to come and turn on the gas and water. While he's there, he'll be working on getting the place ready to rent. He thinks it will take him a few months.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home