Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Pictures gone

I thought about it in the night (my conscience keeps me awake), and I concluded I posted the pictures of my neighbor's house and shed for the wrong reasons, and I shouldn't have done it. He does not deserve to have the shame of his home viewed by the world. Some of my reasons were along the lines of "see the train wreck," and that just isn't right. So, I have to censor myself. While I dislike censorship, I believe one should censor one's self when necessary.

I'll be killing the posts, if I can figure out how, and I think it is pretty easy to do.

We do have government agencies and charities who can help my neighbor to an extent. He got some food at the local food bank, and he has applied for food stamps. We have homeless shelters, soup kitchens, and government housing (The Projects), but they are downtown (about ten miles away). I asked my neighbor why he didn't go downtown where there are more services. He says he doesn't like people.

Two things my neighbor seems unwilling to do, and both are necessary if he is to ever have anything like a normal life. He refuses to stop drinking (only running out of money keeps him from drinking and smoking, but his friends bring him beer and cigarettes sometimes), and he refuses to work. I have never heard him indicate he is willing to work. He's pretty clear that he won't. Maybe he'd want to work if he stopped drinking, but at this time my neighbor prefers to move into a shed in the woods over giving up the beer and finding a job.

I keep hoping one of his sisters will take him in, but I can certainly understand why they wouldn't.

Sarah, you ask about my house. Are you asking for pictures of the inside? I'll try to get one now and again. Mostly my house isn't clean enough for me to want to take pictures most of the time. Now that K got her big-girl bed this morning, she won't nap, and I don't know when I can tidy the place up even a little. It's hard to type right now because she is pitching a fit instead of napping. I'm hoping she'll fall asleep on the floor somewhere and I can put her to bed. I have pictures a the flickr site of the outside of my house. I'll work on getting more up of the inside.

I don't know how land is measured in Australia, but I have almost an acre of land. Compared to what I grew up with, it is a huge yard. Four or five houses of the kind I grew up with could fit on this much land. Compared to what I dream of, it's a small yard. I'd love a lot of land. I'd like a lot of woods, some cleared land for gardening, a garage, a barn, a greenhouse, and a pond or a stream. I doubt I'll ever have all that, but you never know.

3 Comments:

At 7:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well i'll have to go check out Flickr for the outside pics :) i must have missed them hehe.

An acre is a pretty reasonable sized block when we first moved to Bris we were looking at buying an acre block of land.

 
At 10:26 PM, Blogger brillywazz said...

A picture paint a thousand words. I can understand why you felt guilty about posting the photos but I'm glad that you did and I'm glad that I got to see them. You could tell me until the cows come home about the shed that he's going to move into but seeing it really helped to understand.
Maybe deep down you were thinking "see the train wreck" but I feel 'that you were only showing it to explain his situation. You've always talked about your neighbour with a mixture of frustration and compassion. I've thought that you pity him, and you feel sorry for his situation but you also want to give him a damn good shake. I think you like him but you don't respect his choices or lifestyle. Which is fair enough because they're obviously bad choices.
You've never put him down or ridiculed him (and that would have been easy to do) you tell the truth about why he's in the situation he is in. I've enjoyed it but I'd still like to know what happened to him or what it is about him that makes him live that way.

An acre is considered huge where I live. People do have 1-5-10 acres here but most blocks are 1/8th of an acre (approx 600 sq meters) My block is a 1/4 acre. My house is in the middle of the land. If my house was at the front I could sell the back half of the block as a 'battle axe' block.

 
At 12:11 PM, Blogger Angela said...

Sarah, I hope you find the pictures of my house and yard at the Flickr site. I know I have some older ones of the house with snow. I wish we could have afforded more land, but we did what we could. The house isn't much, but it's my home, and I love my yard. It is not the best yard I've ever been in, but it is right up there near the top. It has lots of room for our crazy projects.

Brilly, I think the pictures of the shed itself are still at the flickr site, and I'll leave them up, but they don't have a label on them indicating what they are. They look like an old shed kids are using out in the woods. In fact, when Mr. T cleaned the shed out, he found a March 2004 nudie magazine in the shed so some of the local male teenagers have found the shed. I had a quick glance at the cover, and I must say those things look much raunchier than when I last saw one about 15 years ago. Sorry, I don't recall the title (but it wasn't Playboy, Penthouse, or Hustler, titles I'm familiar with). I admit that during my quick glance, my eyes were more riveted on the pictures than the title, but I immediately knew I'd never heard of the magazine.

If the picture helps explain the situation, I'm glad I included the posts, although briefly. I still keep thinking my neighbor can't be serious about living in that shed, but he was out there yesterday working on it, and as I think I've mentioned, I've seldom seen him lift a finger to do anything. He said he was working on a door for it since he'd be moving in while it was still cold. I really think living in that shed is a bad idea.

I hope my kids learn not to drink from seeing the neighbor. They come from a long line of people who drink very little to not at all on both sides of the family. I do have some uncles who drink more, and a great-aunt who was probably an alcoholic, but neither my parents nor grandparents did much drinking.

I'm not sure what "battle axe" means (would someone else put a house on it?). I find it hard to believe you only have 1/4 acre from all the pictures you take. Your driveway goes on forever, and you have room for a pool and gardens in the back, plus a house that is larger than mine. I guess you just must use your land more efficiently.

My house is towards the front of the lot. I'd guess that my fenced-in back yard has about 2/3 to 3/4 of an acre.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home