Bouquet of Asparagus
The picture is of a bunch of asparagus I got for $1.34 at a grocery salvage store. It came from Peru originally. This store had a lot of other produce at great prices (and some not priced so well). I got some red bell peppers for 88 cents apiece. I got limes at 5 for $1.00.
I think I need to check into getting some of my produce there each week. I avoid recipes calling for red bell peppers normally because they are $3.99 per pound at the store at which I do my weekly shopping. Sometimes I substiture green bell peppers since they are usually half the cost. I might be able to add more vegetables to our diet if I can get them cheaply to hold us until I have a producing garden this summer.
I am getting very interested in rissoles. I had never heard of them until people discussed them at the Cafe Crowd. I made turkey meatloaf tonight, but the only vegetable in it was dried onion. I thought it was pretty good since it wasn't very greasy. Mr. K said he didn't like it because it was so dry, and that it would have been improved had I wrapped it in bacon (which I sometimes do with meatloaf). I am curious about how close rissoles are to meatloaf. I might be interested in trying a baked kind. I'd be willing to brown it in oil first. I don't care to try a deep-fried type or a bbqed type. Brilly or Sars, if you read this, do you have any recommendations for rissole recipes that I might like to try or just general directions if it is like meatloaf where one just throws some stuff together and bakes it? I'd be willing to add carrots and onions. Once summer comes, and I have zucchinis, I'd be willing to add them, too. I've never made vegetable-laden meatloaf nor individual meatloaves. I see that sometimes rissoles are coated in breading. I've never coated meatloaf in breading, but I mix cracker crumbs into the meat.
My cold is getting bad again. I think I've caught a second one. My caugh is horrid, and I can barely talk today. I've been trying to avoid answering the phone since the person on the other end can barely make out what I am saying.
I thought I killed most of my little seedlings by leaving them outside accidentally two nights ago, but they seem to have perked up again. We still get below freezing some nights, and I think we came awfully close to freezing that night. I got the seeds to sprout in the house, but I just can't get the plants to grow. To get enough sun, I have to put them out on my front porch on sunny days. Quite often the high is only in the 40s or 50s. My house is about 63 °F. The seedlings are mostly tomatoes, eggplants, and peppers. They would like the 60s overnight and 80s during the day to actually thrive. I think I started them a bit too early since I'm not offering them the temperatures they would like. Meanwhile, I'm thinking of starting some zucchinis and other squash so I can get an early start as soon as it is safe to put plants out that can't freeze, which should be in two or three weeks.


6 Comments:
Rissoles are a cross between a meatloaf, a hamburger patty and a meatball. :-)
You can put vegies in but they need to be grated or very finely chopped. I usually grate whatever I find in my vegie bin. Always onion and garlic, usually carrots and zucchini or capsicum as well.
I don't have a recipe for baked rissoles (although I'm sure you can do them that way) I usually cook them in a small amount of butter or oil in the frypan and serve with mashed potato and steamed vegies.
You can crumb them or leave them plain. You can use beef, chicken or pork mince. I add breadcrumbs and egg to help bind the mixture. I always sweat the onion, garlic and vegies mix before adding it to the meat mixture.
I hope you're feeling better soon. Maybe you've got the cough/flu that I had last year :-)
Okay. Thank you. Rissole is just something you toss together, like a meatloaf. I dislike panfrying meat because I worry I won't get the internal temperature high enough without burning the outside. I'd have to make a pretty thin patty.
I may give it a try next week, after I go to the store and get some ground meat.
I might have what you had last year. My cough just isn't getting better, but my voice is starting to make a comeback.
We usually just put onion grated, breadcrumbs an egg and some honey in ours, dad puts cream in his i think it is as well as the normal ingredients.
Rissoles are yum, kinda like meatloaf but shaped like a burger :)
Thanks for the description, Sarah. I get it then. I'll just make a vegetable-laden meatloaf that I'll shape like a hamburger patty.
By any chance, do either of you use a panade (fresh bread cubes soaked in milk and then stirred into a paste before adding to ground beef)? I think that might be how Mrs. Belden did it in the book that gave away her hamburger recipe. She used bread soaked in milk, and for some odd reason, added curry powder.
I don't but have always wanted to from reading that in the books when they say her burgers were the best :)
Do you do it? I wonder if it is better?
I have tried the panade after watching a show called "America's Test Kitchen." It keeps the burger juicy even when you cook the meat to well done.
Post a Comment
<< Home