Can Openers
The opener on the left is what I would call a can opener. The two cans on the left don't need one; they have pull tops. I still usually need to dig up the back of a spoon or fork to stick under the pull tab to get a grip on it. Also, as the last bit of the top breaks free from the can, I often get splashed by the contents. When it is the juice from cat food, it is pretty icky.
The opener on the right is what I normally call a bottle opener. It opens pop bottles and beer bottles, but as Brilly mentioned in one of her comments to my last post, most beer doesn't come that way. It has a twist off cap. Twisting off caps often hurts my hands, so I just use the bottle opener if I'm home and its convenient. I don't drink beer, but I cook with it. I got a bottle of brown ale a few weeks ago, and I think the cap required using a bottle opener. In any event, that's how I opened it. The pointy end of the bottle opener works to put sort of triangular holes in cans. If your contents are very liquid, like the broth in the picture, you puncture one hole on each side of the can, and the contents pour out easily. I have both an old can and a new can of broth in the picture. The new can requires using some kind of opener. The old can has a pull top that opens a hole like a can of pop.
I do not have an electric can opener. I don't even know how to use one, and I don't have space on my counter for one.

2 Comments:
I have never used one of the second types of can openers. We have the first sort, but most of our cans come with ring-pulls these days.
We have a cork screw (for wine bottles) that also has a bottle opener, so we open our beer bottles with that.
I have a corkscrew with a bottle opener, too. I didn't think to include it in my picture. Many things now do have pull-tops, but I just noticed my chicken broth has switched back to the plain lid that require some kind of an opener.
Post a Comment
<< Home