Thursday, September 09, 2010

Library SOS

I don't know how to do journal research on-line, but as of today, I am learning. I took a stab at it myself, found one thing and failed at another, so I called the reference desk at my college's library. My friend Suzanne answered! She helped me find a few things and gave me some ideas on where to look.

When I was in college originally, in the main library, we'd use green books called something like the "Periodic Guide to Literature." I'd fill out a little slip and hand it to the librarian, who would get me the journal or magazine if they had it. If I wanted something specifically related to chemistry, I'd go to the tiny chemistry library. They had their own books to look up journals, but they had limited hours they were open. The same with engineering, only their collection was slightly larger and their hours were much better.

The world is so different now with on-line databases and journal articles available in pdf files if I can find them. I still stink at research, but I expect I'll be much better by the end of this semester.

2 Comments:

At 1:59 PM, Blogger Andrea said...

Glad you're having a good time with school. I'm anxious to get back but it feels like one thing after another gets in the way!

 
At 5:10 AM, Blogger Angela said...

I don't find this fun a all. I feel very stupid about the ways to find material, but it is convenient and quicker.

I'm very nervous about this class. I'm finding it quite hard. If I get anything less than an A in it, I have greatly reduced my chances of getting into nursing. If I get a B, I might still get in. With a C, it's over.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home