So Out of Practice
I am so out of practice writing anything with documented references. Plus, I was trained in the MLA method of documentation, and my class is using the APA method. I'm sure the MLA has changed a lot in the 20 + years since I've used it. Back then there was no Internet to cite. Book and magazine titles were underline since most people were using typewriters, and one can't do italics on a regular electric typewriter.
I have a nice little book that goes into detail about each part of a reference for MLA. I gave up trying to figure out APA from the website link I had (and had printed out lots of things from different parts of the site). I started my references on notecards in MLA format. Then, at least, I had the main information available, and I could look up details in my MLA book about what one does with things like translations.
Then I converted the cards to APA format. Things go in a different order and an author only uses his initials. I think I did it correctly but we'll see. I guess I am more comfortable with the APA format now so I can probably skip the step where I started in MLA format. It's just that I was so much more comfortable doing it the "right" way first.
Anyway, I finished and uploaded my puny three paragraph discussion thing that took me days to write and format. I can only hope that the next one will go much faster because I will be more familiar with what I am doing.

4 Comments:
Good on you for putting in such effort!!!
Thanks. I don't have much choice if I want to try to become a nurse.
I'm glad I don't have to write anything formal. I have a hard enough time in normal life :-)
It sort of made me laugh 'cause it reminded me of S showing D how to set out an assignment. At one stage she said to him "They don't really care about content. What they really care about is that you set it out exactly as they want to see it" :-)
It's a sad state of affairs when S is correct with what she told D.
Post a Comment
<< Home