Cub Scout Meeting
I woke up to a couple inches of snow this morning. It was quite a surprise. N was supposed to go to a park with his Cub Scout den to work on a forestry pin. Because of the snow, we were at first going to cancel since it would be hard to find understory plants in the woods, and since Mr. K might not be able to come, we'd lose the best person for identifying trees that don't have leaves.
N has two other boys in his den. Later, I realized that I could identify more than enough trees in our yard, leaves or no leaves, since I already know what they are, even if Mr. K had to be at work.
The kids came over this afternoon to our house since I was sure we could work it out. One dad brought hot chocolate powder. I made chocolate chip cookies. Mr. K, who has a forestry degree, was home after all and was able to take the kids out to identify lots of trees, even without their leaves. He also found lots of woodland plants (or dead plants) where the snow had started to melt off or where they were not flush to the ground. They walked down to the creek, where I would not have even tried to guess more than a couple trees without their leaves.
The boys brought their sisters, who played with J while the boys did their forestry work.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home