Training Wheels OFF!
We took off K's training wheels on her bike yesterday. (It's about time.) She's working on getting the balance thing down. At first she had trouble getting on and off the bike without falling, but that's going much better. Her steering leaves a lot to be desired. She's hit trees, bushes, lawn chairs, and the picnic table. It's as though she's aiming for them.
Anyway, she's come a long way quickly, but she's hit a new bump in the road. She fell off the bike earlier this afternoon and landed on a yellow jacket. She got stung. Now her hand is sore and she's not so keen on bike riding.

3 Comments:
It took me an embarrassingly long time to learn how to ride a bike. I think I was like 10 or something. Anyway, I still don't have much confidence in my biking ability, so I never ride these days. I kind of wish I could because it'd be a convenient way to get around downtown.
I guess it's due to the over-protectiveness of children these days, but bike riding is now taught in elementary school PE classes. Everyone could ride a bike by the time they went to school when I was a kid; they never would have bothered with it in PE. Now lots of kids don't know how to ride a bike.
When I was a kid, we'd hop on our bikes in the morning and return home only to eat dinner. We'd get lunch at someone else's house (sometimes it it was at our house). We'd eat at the closest house to where ever we were hanging out. I don't think anyone lets their kids do this any more.
I quit riding my bike much in 8th grade after I had a bad bike crash in which I broke my nose.
We removed one training wheel with each of the kids until they were more confident with balancing and then removed the other.
It's sad that kids are being taught how to ride bikes at school. I shake my head at our school when I see the number of 5 - 6 year olds who can't catch a ball or kick a ball.... very sad.
Post a Comment
<< Home