Sunday, August 14, 2011

N, K, and I remain home

Mr. K and J went to the mountains this morning to explore a spot that N's Boy Scout troop my use for a backpacking trip this October. N did not want to go. I would have love to have gone, but then K would have had to have gone, too, and no one wants to carry her through the mountains. She's still to small to keep up.

The funny thing is that it was J and not N that went with Mr. K. She'd have made the better Boy Scout.

2 Comments:

At 12:20 AM, Blogger brillywazz said...

Girls can be Scouts here until a certain age then they have to swap to Girl Guides, is it the same in the U.S.?

 
At 6:25 AM, Blogger Angela said...

It sounds sort of like the reverse here.

Girls cannot be Cub Scouts (little boys) or Boy Scouts (older boys). Boys cannot be Girl Scouts. I think men and women can be any type of scout (as leaders).

The Boy Scouts organization also has another type of scout, called a Venture Scout, that is for boys or girls who are at least 14 years old. They do the really fun roughing-it outdoorsy stuff. I have trouble figuring out how anyone can chaperone a mixed gender group at this age, but I guess they manage.

If we can find a troop of Venture Scouts when J is 14, we'll probably switch her to Venture Scouts because there are a lot of things about Girl Scouts that we do not like.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home