My poor cat
I took the cat to the vet today to get her checkup and a shot. Because she digs open the ball behind her ear and it leaks clear fluid the doctor wanted me to put her on antibiotics every time she does this. I said she does it all the time, and I don't want Brenna to be on antibiotics for the rest of her life. We discusses surgery options. My cat is old and may not tolerate being knocked out by IV. I guess they can do an all-gas method. Also, this vet has surgeries scheduled for a long time out now. It would be a long wait. Finally, she concluded since Brenna is such a good cat, she could do it with just a local anesthetic and do it today, as long as she just did the ball that hangs like a testicle behind Brenna's left ear. The smaller one forming on Brenna's lip would require her to have general anesthesia. She doesn't dig that one open much, though.
I left Brenna and had her ear ball removed. I got her home, and she promptly dug the site open with her back claws. I got blood on my shirt from her back feet. I went back to the vet's and got her an e-collar. That is one of those cone-things that go over animals heads so they don't dig themselves open after surgery. She hates it. She hits every wall (perhaps on purpose in an effort to dislodge the collar). She can hardly eat. It's driving her crazy. I guess she needs to wear it until she heals, though. At this time, she's still oozing blood, but it isn't dripping or anything. I hope that's okay. She might have dug the glue and/or stitches out. I really can't tell since I didn't see them before she started digging. She got an injection of antibiotic, so I'm hoping she will heal up before its effect is gone.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home